News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

3D printing a jig for the KJ-45

Started by SergeiDubovsky, October 25, 2022, 09:03:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SergeiDubovsky

Hi team!

I wonder if we have anyone equally good with 3d printing and sharpening. I was thinking about a better version of a jig that Vadim used for the protrusion measurement.

I envision it as a block, with subtracted KJ-45 and a dip for the knife spine on a fixed distance from the KJ jaws. With moving block, for the edge, that goes parallel to spine dip. Ideally with a ruler or a place to attach a ruler or calipers.

I never worked with 3d before, so it will take a bit for me to figure it out. If we have more experienced 3d people here, it might go way faster.

WimSpi

In a topic I showed my copy, made of wood. You could also convert this one into 3D. I have no experience with that.

https://forum.tormek.com/index.php/topic,4667.msg33403.html#msg33403

SergeiDubovsky

I guess, I can try to figure it out. That is where Tormek can help.

@Tormek folks. Do you have a 3D model of KJ-45 somewhere?

Thank you.

WimSpi

SergeiDubovsky

Nice. Yes, I can buy, but it's not too much fun and a whole bunch of euros :) But it's quite close to what I had in mind. What I would change is "press" the KJ-45 into the block, so it won't move and it doesn't hang in the air.

Another idea: I can hire someone to model it for me! EUR75/piece... Nice...

WimSpi

cbwx34

Not to change the subject, but since the stops on the KJ jigs are "fixed", you can just measure from the end of the clamp to the edge of the knife...

... I made a calculator in Calcapp (currently under "Specialized Calculators") that allows you to enter this measurement directly.  It has a place to input the measurements from the Stop(s) to the end of the jig, or just use the defaults I measured.

This, to me, is an easier measurement to make.  (Or you can take this measurement and then add it to distance to the Stop, if you use another calculator).  Since the Stop to the edge of the Jig measurement won't change, I don't see the need to measure the total distance each time.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

SergeiDubovsky

Yup. Makes sense. The only thing that matters is a total length of a knife in a jig. I wonder why everyone work so hard to measure the whole thing. Live and learn.