News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Paper wheels for the Tormek ?

Started by Ken98660, September 12, 2022, 03:21:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken98660

Over at the blade forum there's a message poster who claims that he's getting better results sharpening on a Tormek with paper wheels. Has anyone else tried sharpening with paper wheels ?

3D Anvil

Never heard of anyone using paper wheels on a Tormek.  Are you sure he's not talking about honing on paper wheels AFTER sharpening on the Tormek? 

Ken98660

Quote from: 3D Anvil on September 12, 2022, 05:49:14 AM
Never heard of anyone using paper wheels on a Tormek.  Are you sure he's not talking about honing on paper wheels AFTER sharpening on the Tormek?

I'm pretty sure that he must have been referring to the idea of honing on a Tormek with paper wheels, now that you mention it.

cbwx34

Forum member kwakster dabbled with a paper wheel mod on the Tormek...

https://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=3509.0

... I think just for honing. In that same thread you can see I mounted a paper wheel using the shaft extension.  Worked OK, but in the end I don't think there's any real advantage over the leather wheel.  (I think paper wheels work better at a faster speed.)
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Sir Amwell

I second cbw. I think the whole point of paper wheels is the high speed and the fast feed.

Ken S

One sharpener I respect highly uses paper wheels. He uses the wheel with wax and grit instead of the fine grinding wheel. He uses the second wheel with honing compound instead of the leather honing wheel. He told me that the wax used with the grit wheel does not melt well unless used with a high speed buffer or grinder. He is skilled enough to control the heat with touch. I suspect most of us, me included, are not that skilled.

The late Vadim Kriachuk of Knife Grinders, another highly skilled sharpener, made a very informative video sharpening a knife with his SG-250, and leather honing wheel with PA-70 honing compound. As I recall, the BESS number was around 75, very impressive.

I suspect performance with the leather honing wheel gets better as the fine grinding wheel performance is improved.

Ken