News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Wear on composite honing wheel

Started by Sir Amwell, August 20, 2022, 01:41:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Amwell

I've used the composite honing wheel for a little while now. Not free hand but controlled angle on FVB. Maybe 50 knives, 4 passes per side. Other users may have noticed the little black shavings that come off it whilst honing? That got me to thinking if the wheel was getting thinner. Obviously the wheel diameter is important for calculating precise honing angles. So I measured the diameter. No change from the 218mm.
Was wondering if any other composite wheel users have noticed the wearing of material off the wheel and if and when it becomes an issue?
Does the composite wheel wear out?

Ken S

Will the composite wheel wear out? An honest answer is yes. In fairness, the same could be said about all things mechanical. Tormek has a well earned reputation for longevity. I would describe the composite wheel as a "long term consumable". I would place all abrasives, including diamond and CBN wheels in the same category. Our vehicles and bodies are also in that category.

We cn do things to extend or shorten the life of the composite honing wheel. Although it can handle mild sharpening, expecting it to do extensive sharpening is both inefficient and wearing. I particularly like the combination of the SB-250 graded coarse and the composite wheel for knives suggested by Wootz (Vadim).

In my opinion, the composite honing wheel is a useful addition to our sharpening arsenal. I would not be concerned about minute changes in diameter.

Ken

Vincent

I'm interested in getting a composite wheel to replace the leather wheel. What composite wheel is recommended for the T8?

cbwx34

Quote from: Vincent on September 13, 2022, 03:55:14 PM
I'm interested in getting a composite wheel to replace the leather wheel. What composite wheel is recommended for the T8?

Unless there's an aftermarket one I can't recall, there's only one for the T-8...

https://www.tormek.com/international/en/accessories/honing-wheels/cw-220-composite-honing-wheel/
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

tgbto

Quote from: Sir Amwell on August 20, 2022, 01:41:37 AM
I've used the composite honing wheel for a little while now. Not free hand but controlled angle on FVB. Maybe 50 knives, 4 passes per side. Other users may have noticed the little black shavings that come off it whilst honing? That got me to thinking if the wheel was getting thinner. Obviously the wheel diameter is important for calculating precise honing angles. So I measured the diameter. No change from the 218mm.
Was wondering if any other composite wheel users have noticed the wearing of material off the wheel and if and when it becomes an issue?
Does the composite wheel wear out?

As Ken said, it does wear out. A rule of thumb is 1mm on the wheel is roughly 1/10th of a degree. I also have about 50-100 knives on the composite wheel and have seen the shavings. You should be far from a full millimeter of wear. So you can still consider your angle as being fairly precisely managed.