News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Running on inverter?

Started by John ~ LolliPop Farm, September 04, 2022, 09:32:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John ~ LolliPop Farm

I have been invited to attend a potentially lucrative (and excellent advertising/marketing opportunity) event but they have no ground power and a generator to the site is not permitted.
Need to run potentially (2) T-8's for 4 hours. (Worst case) v=i*r ?

V/r
John G.

BeSharp

I recall from somewhere Tormek saying a 500 Watt inverter should do the job.

3D Anvil

I guess you only need to run one at a time though, right?

John ~ LolliPop Farm

Quote from: Dutchman on September 05, 2022, 10:17:52 AM
A search for "inverter" resulted in  several topics e.g.: https://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=3198.msg18565#msg18565

I tried the search function, while I have not kept up with them, I'm sure technology advances have occurred since the last discussions in 2016/17 etc.?

V/r
John G.

3D Anvil

A single T-8 draws just under 100 watts running by itself.  Applying a lot of pressure to the stone increases that to around 112-115 watts.  I believe that even the small battery/inverter units put out 300 watts.

This one I was looking at puts out 500 watts and has a 614 wh LiFePO4 battery.  Actual watt hours is probably closer to 500. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09N71MBCB/?coliid=I2UHF4DHWC1WZ6&colid=11O2A5Y4EH4N9&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Dublin Lee

I contacted Jackery. They sell thru Amazon. They stated that a T-8 would run approximately 7+ hrs of continuous use using their pro 1500. Down side $1699.  They have several model with or without solar. Hope this helps

John ~ LolliPop Farm

Quote from: Dublin Lee on September 10, 2022, 06:08:07 PM
I contacted Jackery. They sell thru Amazon. They stated that a T-8 would run approximately 7+ hrs of continuous use using their pro 1500. Down side $1699.  They have several model with or without solar. Hope this helps

Solar would be amazing, never considered that.
Was just planning on charging up everywhere I went that had ground power and using that power when I didn't.

I think really I need to get in line wattage meter and plug it in at a venue and see what I actually use in a day.

V/r
John G.

Ken S

For what it's worth, the T8 draws 200 watts; the T4 only draws 120 watts.

Ken

3D Anvil

Quote from: Ken S on September 10, 2022, 09:27:21 PM
For what it's worth, the T8 draws 200 watts; the T4 only draws 120 watts.

Ken
Hooked my T-8 to a Kill-A-Watt meter and it definitely draws less than 115 watts when sharpening, and that's with two CBN wheels attached.  That's in the US at 110v.  Might be different in Europe?

Most of the battery inverters available these days have solar charging options.  The one I linked above can use solar charging, but I believe it would be sufficient for 4 hrs. without solar, as long as you only have one machine running at a time. 

Or for $569 you can get one with 716 Wh and 800 watt continuous output, which also supports solar charging.  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B095Y6ZTR1/?coliid=I22H1PDUCXPQPW&colid=11O2A5Y4EH4N9&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Jackery has a very good reputation, but I think they're way overpriced.  Most of them use Lion batteries, which have about 25% the lifespan of the LiFePO4 batteries in the units I've linked.