News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

The Farmers Market Hustle

Started by John ~ LolliPop Farm, September 03, 2022, 10:18:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John ~ LolliPop Farm

Just sharing a day in the life if a farmers market sharpening service...
Best advertising/exposure you can get for $75/year, IMO.
Pain I. The back to move it all a few times a week, though.

V/r
John G.

John ~ LolliPop Farm

My darling SWMBO snapping some happy shots.

V/r
John G.

John ~ LolliPop Farm

Some pics from my Wednesday location. it's all about location, location, location , and tacos.. Directly a across the street from the hardware store and bank, next door to the grocery store, at the intersection of 3 State Routes (14, 15, & 16)... oh and tacos..

As much as I love "hanging out" with my neighbors at our town's farmers market, I can do $200 in 5 hours here on a Wednesday afternoon, compared to $40. All day Sunday

V/r
John G.

TireguyfromMA

Hey John,  wow...you really pack a lot of stuff up.  I just started sharpening knives last Feb~Mar, got invited to the local farmers market this summer.  I don't pack nearly as much stuff as you do though.  Takes me and my wife about 30 minutes to pack up the car, about 20 minutes to set up at the market.  The business at the market is okay, no taco's, but the exposure I get, letting people know there is someone who can really do a good job on their knives, scissors and gardening tools is way better.  Once they see how a knife is sharpened on the TORMEK and the results, they are pretty much hooked and they contact me within the same week with knives to sharpen.  It's like planting seeds.. :).   

tishihtzu

Can't see your sign-- what are your rates?

cbwx34

Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

John ~ LolliPop Farm

Quote from: tishihtzu on September 09, 2022, 05:17:42 PM
Can't see your sign-- what are your rates?

a dollar an inch for straight blades.
Got measures notched into my work table.

$15 for shears pruners loppers etc.

V/r
John G.

John ~ LolliPop Farm

Quote from: cbwx34 on September 09, 2022, 05:53:59 PM
And how much are tacos?   ;D  ;D  ;D

$4.00 each.

$10.00 for two with beans and rice.

Dear friends and fellow culinarian, I keep their catering empire knives "chef sharp" in exchange for "rent"  and free taco's while I'm there. And one chorizo quesadilla to take home for Lolli's dinner on Wednesday ! I also ply my previous pastry chef skills on occasion.  You know the difference between crême caramel and flan? 5.00 on th menu,  badabing. We are in a codependent relationship. The very best kind. Taco's!

V/r
John G.

John ~ LolliPop Farm

Quote from: TireguyfromMA on September 09, 2022, 07:23:36 AM
Hey John,  wow...you really pack a lot of stuff up. 

Yeah it's a real pain in the Chuckas I'm telling you. starting to think about how we can maybe convert my open trailer into an enclosed one and have a mobile sharpening studio that I can just park anywhere...

To be fair when we go to farmers market we bring two tents and extra tables and stuff because my wife also has her macramé and card making  thing there....

V/r
John G.