News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Most efficient protocol for low end/mainstream knives

Started by Sir Amwell, August 13, 2022, 06:33:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Amwell

Hi everyone. I'm sure this has been covered before. But I was wondering what sharpening protocols people use for most knives they get, ie everyday kitchen knives that are not super steel, indeed of unknown composition. Probably what would be termed by Wootz as those steels tending to form positive burrs when sharpening. Or put another way someone hands you a batch of knives, you don't really know what the steel is but you strongly suspect they are not high end. What Wootz would term 'lower end' and 'mainstream' knives.
So what would be your 'go to' protocol be?
Efficient in terms of time, simplicity but with a level of sharpness that you are happy with. What Bess scores would you be happy with?
So I'm really asking what's the method you use for batch sharpening?
Any input would be much appreciated, thanks.

Sharpco

If it isn't very high abrasive resistant steel(e.g. CPM-S110V), I don't care. Remember, honing is the most important stage. I do it with freehand on the leather wheel. And as final finish, I strop it with very find diamond emulsion(e.g. Jende 0.25micron or Gunny juice 0.25micron)

Here is result
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/f6_DOwLmoag

3D Anvil

My aim is to sharpen a mainstream kitchen knife in 5-7 minutes, depending on how dull it is.  It's usually 2-5 passes per side on a 400 grit CBN wheel, followed by power stropping on a Ken Onion Elite sharpener with leather belt and Tormek compound at +2° (2 passes) followed by two passes on a plain leather belt at the exact sharpening angle.  Result is a 70-90 BESS score, which I consider more than adequate.

Sir Amwell

Thanks for replies. Much appreciated.
Any other suggestions?
Or am I asking for people to give away their secrets?

John_B

I think you need to differentiate between "low end" and "mainstream" knives. Low end are exceptionally soft and difficult to sharpen as the burr is not easy to grind or hone. Most knives you will come across fall into the mainstream category. In the big picture not many people own really high end knives made from the more exotic steels.

For most of the knives I sharpen I am able to start out on the Tormak stone that has not been graded. It will be between coarse and fine. After getting a small burr I will then grade the stone and repeat the sharpening. At this point I will hone on the leather wheel at +2° above the sharpening angle. For special knives I will change leather wheels and hone using 1µ diamond spray.

Process is different for damaged knives.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

Ken S

Good comments, John.

I don't sharpen knives professionally. That stated, I would guess that a substantial number of knives to be sharpened are typically Victorinox or the second string knives from companies like Henckels or Chicago Cutlery. Reasonably priced, but expensive enough to be worth paying to have sharpened. That's what I consider mainstream knives.

If a sharpener can do a workmanlike job of sharpening these knives at a price which seems reasonable to both customer and sharpener, I think he will do well.

Ken

Sir Amwell

Thanks for your responses. Points taken and appreciated.
So John, if you are required to sharpen low end knives with their difficult to remove burrs, how would you proceed?
Also, in your post you referred to 'special knives' and honing on 1 micron diamond spray. Would that be on leather or felt? And what angle?

John_B

Quote from: Sir Amwell on August 27, 2022, 11:34:50 AM
Thanks for your responses. Points taken and appreciated.
So John, if you are required to sharpen low end knives with their difficult to remove burrs, how would you proceed?
Also, in your post you referred to 'special knives' and honing on 1 micron diamond spray. Would that be on leather or felt? And what angle?

I see very few of the very soft steel knives from my limited number of customers. The couple that I did get I tried to get as small a burr as possible and remove what I could by honing. I discussed this with the customer and recommended that they discard the cheap knife rather than invest in trying to keep it sharp. I have not seen them come back again.

Special knives are mostly mine and I use the 1µ spray on a Tormek leather wheel that is reserved for this use. I will do this honing at the same angle I honed on the original leather wheel. Even with my own knives I am not chasing down a rabbit hole in pursuit of the sharpest possible edge. I take good care of them and use a steel lightly before each use.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease