News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Honing progression

Started by John ~ LolliPop Farm, August 25, 2022, 10:05:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John ~ LolliPop Farm

Really fell in love with the composite wheel on my T-2 so much I ordered a CW-220 composite wheel along with my new T-8 Custom (drive-by gloat). Got me thinking about my honing procedure, and how I can increase edge quality, and customer satisfaction, and make my life easier?

So I'm thinking ; CW-220 ,  LA-220 with PA70, and LA-220 with Chromium Oxide, should be about right?

V/r
John G.

Sir Amwell

Yes this works. Up to a point. This progression, I found, will give BESS scores between 150-120 for lower/mainstream knives. It will NOT however work for higher end or hard/ wear resistant knives ( those with a tendency to negative burr).
I introduced a rock hard felt wheel with 1 micron diamond between the Tormek honing compound on leather stage and the chromox on leather stage.  At +2 degrees for most steels producing positive burrs this extra step will take BESS below 100. Sometimes 90 sometimes 70 ish.
Worth the extra step?
Maybe the difference between ' very sharp' and 'crazy sharp'?
If so the customer pays for the extra step?

3D Anvil

I've been playing around with my progression for low-end knives a little. 

Here's my new protocol:

1.  CBN 400 wheel
2.  2x leather belt with PA-70 at +2°
3.  2x leather belt with PA-70 at actual angle
4.  5-7x stropped on hanging denim with Flitz metal polish

Test Case:
Mercer Culinary M22608 Millennia Black Handle, 8-Inch, Chef's Knife ($26 on Amazon)
Edge angle 12° per side
Dulled blade on fine side of Tormek truing stone

Total Sharpening Time: 7:29
BESS Score: 80