News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

thoughts on the KJ-45 and outdoor knives

Started by Ken S, August 11, 2022, 05:53:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

I have long been interested in the possibilities of self centering knife sharpening with the Tormek. The advent of the KJ-45 has brought this forward for me.

Like several other members, I have purchased several SVM-45 jigs intending to have them modified as demonstrated by our late member Wootz (Vadim of Knife Grinders). In his video about knife jigs, Wootz stated that the unmodified SVM-45 produced acceptably centered bevels for knives of 2 to 3 mm thickness. My kitchen knives, which are essentially all the knives I sharpen, fall into that range. They require no jig modification or self centering jig.

I decided to venture into outdoor knives. As a starting point, I read the thickness specifications of several Mora knives. These fell into a range of 2 to 3.2 mm thickness, most of which would be acceptably sharpened by the unmodified SVM-45. For the few knives many of us might encounter outside of the 2 to 3 mm thickness range, I prefer the one jig KJ-45 with automatic self centering. I believe I will probably use this feature more with thin paring knives. In fairness to our friend, Wootz, it should be noted that unfortunately he passed away before the advent of the KJ-45. I am sure his keen mind would have had thoughts on the new jig.

Ken

Sir Amwell

I think I understand Ken. Interesting.
So will the self centering jig handle both knives below (your thin paring knives for example) AND above ( thick bushcraft knives for example) the 2-3mm range?
I ask because I was thinking of getting at least one old style jig modified a la Wootz advice for thicker knives.
If the new jig can handle thicker knives I won't bother. Thanks.

Ken S

Good question. Wolfgang and Sebastien answer it in this online class:

https://youtu.be/40AoJ8UBprI

Maximum straight thickness 10mm. Maximum tapered thickness 6 mm. That should suffice for very large Moras :)
Start at about 8:00 go through about 11:30.

Ken

3D Anvil

Have to say that I've become a huge fan of the KJ-45.  I've used it on very thin knives up to knives with 4mm stock and it does an excellent job producing even bevels.  Also used it to put a nice convex edge on a meat cleaver.

Sir Amwell

Thanks to the kj45 my knife is so self centred that it won't let me sharpen it!
Tumbleweed......

Thy Will Be Done

Quote from: Sir Amwell on August 17, 2022, 12:28:08 AM
Thanks to the kj45 my knife is so self centred that it won't let me sharpen it!
Tumbleweed......

Why does even bevels prevent sharpening?  I've got no problem working up a burr with mine, in fact by the time I get done reprofiling a knife I basically decided I need to grind the edge perpendicular into a stone to remove the damaged steel and then sharpen a bit further to get a clean apex with micro bevel.  Otherwise burr removal on stones is difficult and a bit frustrating.

Ken S

"Thanks to the kj45 my knife is so self centred that it won't let me sharpen it!
Tumbleweed"

This puzzles me. If this is a serious comment, we need more information, such as the width of the knife and the desired bevel angle. If the knife is within normal dimensions, I don't see why the KJ-45 would fail to sharpen it. New Tormek products undergo extensive testing before being released for sale. The two KJ jigs were also featured in a recent online class and did not show this problem. The only situation I can think of where this might occur would be from placing a very small knife in the jig too deeply, thus causing insufficient protrusion. Sir Amwell, a video or photo would help.

Ken

Sir Amwell

Sorry. My idea of a joke. Obviously big tumbleweed!

Ken S

That thought occurred to me; however, I was too polite to mention it.   ::)

I am pleased that your knife is sharp (and centered)............

Ken