News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Where Do You Get Your Diamond Sprays?

Started by darita, August 09, 2022, 11:18:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darita

So Vadim suggests using alcohol based diamond sprays on paper wheels, so who carries this?  I got some of the micron sizes from SchleifJunkies, however they don't carry .5 or 10 micron.

Sir Amwell

I think for paper wheels Vadim would recommend diamond paste. I think oil based? If you have access to eBay and search diamond honing pastes there is a company that sells a whole range, certainly the micron sizes you are looking for. Rub the paste into the wheel and leave to set overnight and you should be good to go.

Sir Amwell

Forgot to say, pertinent to another post of yours. You will need to de-clog the slots in the wheels after applying the paste. A bit of wire or thick cotton thread will do it. I'm pretty certain that Vadim had a video dedicated to this very topic.

3D Anvil

Yeah, Vadim recommended alcohol-based sprays for felt wheels.  I'm still interested in a source for that purpose, if anyone knows of one.

darita

Quote from: Sir Amwell on August 10, 2022, 05:26:11 PM
I think for paper wheels Vadim would recommend diamond paste. I think oil based? If you have access to eBay and search diamond honing pastes there is a company that sells a whole range, certainly the micron sizes you are looking for. Rub the paste into the wheel and leave to set overnight and you should be good to go.

Well, would the spray be OK?  I'm trying to avoid having a range of sprays and and range of paste.

Sir Amwell

I don't think it would. The diamonds would just fall off or be scraped off as soon as you used the wheel. The paste soaks into the paper and holds the diamonds on somehow. By all means try it but I think it will fail.

Sir Amwell

darita

I wonder where Vadim got his diamond pastes?

darita

Also, I've already applied diamond spray to a couple of the paper wheels.  Can I somehow clean off that stuff and apply a different size diamond paste without it being contaminated?

cbwx34

Quote from: darita on August 12, 2022, 06:42:05 PM
Also, I've already applied diamond spray to a couple of the paper wheels.  Can I somehow clean off that stuff and apply a different size diamond paste without it being contaminated?

Just hold a piece of fine sandpaper against it while it's spinning for a few seconds.  (In reality, unless you used a lot, the paste will probably cover it anyway).

If the diamond in the paste is the same size (or larger) than the spray, you don't need to worry about it.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Sir Amwell

I may be wrong here. However, I have successfully cleaned off the paste using 80 and then 120 grit sandpaper. It took a while due to clogging. I had to do it to true the wheel you see ( it had gone off square).
So I pretty certain that the same would apply to the alcohol diamond spray as ( explained in a previous post) the diamonds won't have penetrated too far into the paper and coarse sand paper would scrape them off.  Just be sure to meticulously clean up with vacuum cleaner and brush before applying anything else.

Sir Amwell

CB's advice re diamond size is spot on

darita

Quote from: cbwx34 on August 12, 2022, 08:22:33 PM
Quote from: darita on August 12, 2022, 06:42:05 PM

Just hold a piece of fine sandpaper against it while it's spinning for a few seconds.  (In reality, unless you used a lot, the paste will probably cover it anyway).

If the diamond in the paste is the same size (or larger) than the spray, you don't need to worry about it.

Ya, but I'll likely be going smaller, so it'll have to be at least mostly cleaned off.

3D Anvil

Vadim's advice re: felt wheels might also apply for cleaning paper wheels.  He suggested using a course sandpaper (I think 80 grit), because there's a chance that the grit from finer papers could become imbedded in the wheel.  Probably less risk of that with paper wheels, though.