News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

The HK-50 home made knife rest

Started by ozhunter, August 08, 2022, 11:56:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozhunter

Hello all

After coming across the problem of small knives that don't lend themselves to any of the Tormek jigs, I found Herman's posts about the platform he made. I made one for myself and it works a treat. Thanks to Herman and all the others that have had input into the platform.

What I can't figure out is honing after sharpening with the platform. I don't have the knack to hone (or sharpen) freehand, which is why I ended up with a T7 for my woodworking tools in the first place.

I tried a longer platform to get the blade where it needs to be on a felt or paper wheels, but my tiny brain can't make it work.

I was wondering what users of the platform like Herman's do honing wise.

I would appreciate any input the forum can give me.

cbwx34

Quote from: ozhunter on August 08, 2022, 11:56:40 AM
Hello all

After coming across the problem of small knives that don't lend themselves to any of the Tormek jigs, I found Herman's posts about the platform he made. I made one for myself and it works a treat. Thanks to Herman and all the others that have had input into the platform.

What I can't figure out is honing after sharpening with the platform. I don't have the knack to hone (or sharpen) freehand, which is why I ended up with a T7 for my woodworking tools in the first place.

I tried a longer platform to get the blade where it needs to be on a felt or paper wheels, but my tiny brain can't make it work.

I was wondering what users of the platform like Herman's do honing wise.

I would appreciate any input the forum can give me.

I'd work on honing freehand, there's some tips in Tormek's honing video that might help...

https://youtu.be/40AoJ8UBprI?t=1955

... you can rest your hands on the universal support to help (not sure if that tip is in that video or another one).  Probably the best way for small knives.

Best tip I have... I usually start at a lower angle and slowly raise the angle.  You can hear and see (and feel) when you reach the edge, that, (or slightly higher/lower depending on the knife), is the angle I hone at.

Am curious why your longer platform doesn't work?  I do have a "Platform Jig Calculator" in Calcapp (under "Other Jigs/Tools") that might help, if setting the angle is an issue.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

RickKrung

Quote from: cbwx34 on August 08, 2022, 03:10:45 PM
...snip...
Am curious why your longer platform doesn't work?  I do have a "Platform Jig Calculator" in Calcapp (under "Other Jigs/Tools") that might help, if setting the angle is an issue.

I am wondering this also.  Are you sharpening "edge trailing" with the platform?  Whether you are or not, how and why would that not work for honing? Perhaps some photos of your setups, both sharpening and honing. I also wonder why the shorter platform doesn't work, which was my question before CB's comment about the longer platform. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

ozhunter

Thanks for the replies.

I sharpen edge leading and have no problems, the platform and I get along just fine for sharpening.

I neglected to add I hone using an FVB on a T7 with felt and paper wheels, and/or a half speed grinder with paper wheels.

I'll give it another go in the next few days as time permits and get some photos.