News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Almost Done With Paper Wheel Cart...

Started by darita, August 06, 2022, 09:01:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darita

So I finished making my stands.  I used my angle finder gauge to adjust the USBs parallel with the 1/2 speed grinder arbor.  I also used the straight edge to get the USBs in line with one another.  I did my best to follow the KG recommended set up as close as possible.  I also got some 10" x 1 1/4" slotted paper wheels.
1.  Do I need to true the wheels?  The surfaces are already lined up pretty well with the USB, however the wheel surfaces are very slightly crowned.
2.  The wheels slots are clean and clear on 2 surfaces, however on one side, all the slots are closed off with paper fuzz.  Do I have to cut that stuff off so that all slots are open?
Any other suggestions?

Ken S

The manufacturer of your paper wheels should be able to answer your first question. Do they sell their paper wheels with slots?

Ken

darita

Yes. They are available with or without slots.

RickKrung

I would clean that "fuzz" out of the slots, which is simply paper "burrs" from the slotting process.  As I understand it, the slots are for air flow for cooling effect.  If the slots are not clear on one side, it seems that air flow would be compromised. I would probably do this by drawing some sandpaper through the slot from the burr/fuzz side, being careful not to pull fuzz out/off the opposite side.  I would do this ONLY in the one direction, so as to abrade the fuzz off as it is pulled back into the slot.  If you pull the sandpaper out of the slot on the burr side, I think it would just create more burr. To avoid pulling a but out the other side, I think I would pull the sandpaper up from the bottom and out the top of the wheel without exiting the opposite side.  Just a concept, haven't tried it.  Another way would be to use a fresh safety razor and slice the burr off the corners.  I doubt having a slight chamfer in that slot will hurt anything. 

Several years ago, very shortly after Vadim posted about his paper wheel setups, I got several and a slow speed grinder, thinking I would do the same.  I found the paper wheels to NOT be true, but rather out-of-round, which created vibration and bumping of the blades.  I wanted to true them, but never tried, as I wasn't sure how to do it.  I think a sanding block supported on the USB is one way, but I was uncomfortable hand holding that.  I have a 12" swing metal lathe and thought about setting up a sanding block on the toolholder and using the crossslide for feed control.  But, I lost interest, partially due to the bother, but also because my conversations with Vadim took me in the direction of a two-step deburring process of using the SJ wheel and then 1ยต diamonds on a rock hard felt wheel.  That has served me very well ever since and the paper wheels are just gathering dust.  I'm not even sure just where they are now.  I've since added a hanging leather strop as a final step in the deburring process.  Long way of saying, yes, I would true those wheels. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

darita

Well, the saga continues...I ran some tests with the slow grinder and was really have a problem with balancing out the paper wheels.  I took some suggestions and got a full speed grinder, well actually a variable speed, anyhow, it works much better.  First, I'm able to adjust the wheel mounting to get a much less wobbly wheel.  Secondly, at full speed, the wheels seem to smooth out a lot.  With the variable speed, I'll be able to slow it down a bit and find a happy medium between smoothness and heat reduction.  In addition, I was able to get this Delta model grinder at a greatly reduced price at Lowes.  I did have to readjust everything, but I think this will be a better setup in the end.

AKMike

darita

Quote from: AKMike on August 17, 2022, 02:36:23 AM
You might try getting a wheel balancing system. Here is one example:  https://oneway.ca/products-category/sharpening-grinding-jigs/Balancing%20Systems

Mike
Will this cure a wobble in the wheels?  Paper wheels wobble.

cbwx34

Quote from: darita on August 16, 2022, 09:26:10 PM
Well, the saga continues...I ran some tests with the slow grinder and was really have a problem with balancing out the paper wheels.  I took some suggestions and got a full speed grinder, well actually a variable speed, anyhow, it works much better.  First, I'm able to adjust the wheel mounting to get a much less wobbly wheel.  Secondly, at full speed, the wheels seem to smooth out a lot.  With the variable speed, I'll be able to slow it down a bit and find a happy medium between smoothness and heat reduction.  In addition, I was able to get this Delta model grinder at a greatly reduced price at Lowes.  I did have to readjust everything, but I think this will be a better setup in the end.

That's how I figured it out... on a variable speed grinder.  After a while, I just ran it on "high".  Heat is controlled by technique.

Congrats! 
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)