News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Old Peter Child "Pink" stone for Tormek spec

Started by HedgeStar, August 21, 2022, 11:21:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HedgeStar

Hi all,

My first post !

I have had my Tormek S2000 for a long time.  I bought a Peter Child Pink stone some time ago and have really liked it.  I assume as Peter Child no longer trades those wheels are unobtainable now? 

Does anyone know the Grit/material specification of those wheels please?

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, HedgeStar.

I found this with an online search:

http://www.peterchild.co.uk/grind/grindingwheel.htm

The late Peter Child's book, The Craftsman Woodturner, (first published in 1971) seems readily available either new or used. This book may be the best source to answer your question. Reading through the linked page, the pink wheels seem to be superseded by the SB-250 blackstone and diamond wheels. With diamond wheels, the DW-250 600 grit wheel is a nice balance between fast cutting and smooth finish. It is built on a steel frame, and never needs truing or dressing. It also has a wide side abrasive area, useful for flat grinding skew chisels.

Ken

HedgeStar

Thank you Ken,

I had seen the Peter Child web pages but the "Tormek" wheel is missing.  I guess your point maybe about the pink wheels shown for small high speed grinders is probably the same material.  My guess is,  you may well be right as the colour is exactly the same and from the same supplier. 

From what I can see from KG Australia, the SB250 is likely to be similar.  I see the SB 250 wheels can be fine dressed but not coarse dressed with the Tormek stone.  Diamond dressing fine.  Out of interest, I may try this on my Pink wheel before I replace it.

cbwx34

You might want to search this forum for "Norton" (make sure you search from the Home Page, otherwise it won't search the entire forum)... some members have adapted coarse Norton stones for the Tormek, and "pink" stones are available.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

HedgeStar

Thank you cbwx34.

I will search.

My pink wheel was good on HSS turning tools.  A bit too coarse on knives.

These days I need to cover far more general sharpening for my home workshop.

I am just really trying to find the information as a reference as I need to "invest" in some new wheels and try to figure out a low cost set up without buying a spectrum of diamond wheels.