News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

KJ-45 Knife Jig - Damages Finish Of Knives

Started by Thy Will Be Done, July 16, 2022, 02:02:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thy Will Be Done

I've done several knives with this new jig and what I've noted is that whenever you use a knife that has a powder coating finish it puts wear on the coating there and sort of leaves a dent/scrape.  I don't mind personally but I sharpen knives for others and some people are very picky about wear spots and seem to not use their knives.  I have not tried a satin finished knife yet but it's coming next and have the same concern here.  I had a thought to wrap the blade with painter's tape there but wasn't sure how secure the blade would be fixed into the jig with that extra material there and quite possibly it may steel leave marks there from compressive forces.  Anybody have anything to offer here?

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, Chris.

The most promising suggestion I have seen was from our late member, Wootz (Vadim of Knife Grinders). Wootz sharpened some very high end knives. He routinely placed cloth tape on the spine of the knives he sharpened.
(Wootz also wrapped the handles of fine knives with clear wrap.) His youtube channel (knifegrinders.au) is well worth watching.

Ken

Thy Will Be Done

Thanks for the welcome and the tip.  Can't help but wonder if you could be more specific as to what kind of cloth tape he used.  I see 3M sells a bunch of different kinds from glass cloth to cotton, etc.

This seems like it might be exactly what you are referring to.... https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-16003/3M-Electrical-Tape/3M-1755-Cotton-Friction-Tape-3-4-x-60

I can't help but wonder though whether the marks on the wear spots are from friction or by compressed force/pressure.  If it's pressure related, I wonder if the tape would stop the coating from being sort of 'dented'.

3D Anvil

I use blue painters' tape, which works fine. 

BeSharp

I use 3M No Residue duct tape, fairly water resistant so can be reused many times. No residue to clean off saves time! In fact, I need to buy my second roll today.

Thy Will Be Done

Think I'm going to give this one a try, cheap enough.  2" wide makes just wide enough for the KJ-45 to snip a small piece off.  Easy removal, high abrasion resitance.  Looking at my KJ-45 where it contacts the blade, it does appear to be an abrasion... likely vibration makes for slight rubbing in the high spots.

https://www.grainger.com/product/3M-Cloth-Tape-High-Temp-Sealing-15C124?opr=ILOF

cbwx34

Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Thy Will Be Done

Quote from: cbwx34 on July 17, 2022, 06:56:57 PM
You could also try taping the clamp.

That's a good tip, hadn't thought of trying that.

Ken S

Quote from: cbwx34 on July 17, 2022, 06:56:57 PM
You could also try taping the clamp.

Forum member, Brian Phelps, makes adhesive protecting pads for the SVM-45 and SVM-140. I use them and prefer them to taping the knife blades. I think the SVM-140 pads could be cut down to fit the KJ-45. I rarely use the wider jigs, so I wouldn't worry about them. The pads come as a set of two, one small, one large. The set costs around $10 USD. Here is a link:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/BootheelCustoms

Ken

Ken S

This video by Wootz (Knife Grinders) demonstrates an excellent technique for protecting knife finishes on both the blade and handle. If you want to do top drawer sharpening on top quality knives, it is well worth studying. Here is a link:

https://youtu.be/BBmZINd9RgQ

Ken

Azazell64

I use good ole fashioned hockey tape as it's a fabric tape. It works well and is extremely cheap.

Thy Will Be Done

Quote from: Azazell64 on July 20, 2022, 03:57:09 AM
I use good ole fashioned hockey tape as it's a fabric tape. It works well and is extremely cheap.

Do you use it on the blade?  Does it come off cleanly from the steel?

Markku P

Quote from: 3D Anvil on July 16, 2022, 05:30:44 AM
I use blue painters' tape, which works fine.
Well, I don´t do any high end knifes so this blue painters´ tape is enough to me and it won´t leave any glue residue.
Inquisitive old Finnish man. ;)

BeSharp

Tape thicker than blue painter's tape helps take up the space created by the angle in the blade spine, and so clamps blades tighter. Vadim has a video where he has to put on more than one layer to compensate for very steep spine angles.

cbwx34

Quote from: BeSharp on July 26, 2022, 05:30:15 PM
Tape thicker than blue painter's tape helps take up the space created by the angle in the blade spine, and so clamps blades tighter. Vadim has a video where he has to put on more than one layer to compensate for very steep spine angles.

With the new knife jig?  Shouldn't have to.   ???
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)