News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

New DF-250 has small voids

Started by lady_shock, July 11, 2022, 10:28:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lady_shock

I recently purchased a DF-250 (fine) specifically to use the side of the wheel to make chisels and plane irons flat.
New out of the box, I notice small voids on the side where it appears the diamond layer did not adhere or maybe chipped away.
My intuition tells me this should be ok as there will be only a small sector of each revolution of the wheel were no grinding occurs, but I'm really obsessive about sharpening and can't shake the feeling that this isn't good and I should return the wheel before I use it.
Any thoughts and experience would be much appreciated!

cbwx34

Quote from: lady_shock on July 11, 2022, 10:28:28 PM
I recently purchased a DF-250 (fine) specifically to use the side of the wheel to make chisels and plane irons flat.
New out of the box, I notice small voids on the side where it appears the diamond layer did not adhere or maybe chipped away.
My intuition tells me this should be ok as there will be only a small sector of each revolution of the wheel were no grinding occurs, but I'm really obsessive about sharpening and can't shake the feeling that this isn't good and I should return the wheel before I use it.
Any thoughts and experience would be much appreciated!

I don't see that on the wheel I have.  I would probably email Tormek Support, and ask them.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, Lady Shock.

My first thought in situations like this is to refer you to Tormek support (support@tormek.se). Plan "B" would be to contact your dealer. Send the photo you posted.
Keep us posted.

Ken

RickKrung

One of my diamond wheels developed what I called a "chip".  I contacted Tormek support.  They basically said "no big deal".  That was several years ago and it has not proven to be any problem, I've essentially forgotten about it. 

Good luck.

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.