News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Source For 2" Wide Felt Wheel?

Started by darita, July 07, 2022, 09:45:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darita

I believe some one here had a source for the 2" wide felt wheels that we use, however I can't seem to find it by searching.  Can someone please help?

3D Anvil

I think this is what you're looking for: Duro-Felt Products
http://www.durofelt.com/image_8.html

Drilon

Check https://www.puruipolishing.com/product/10-inch-rock-hard-felt-wheel/

The wheel they offer seems to be the wheel Vadim (RIP) of Knife Grinders offered. Payment/shipment was absolutely not problematic.

Good luck
Drilon

3D Anvil

How much was that wheel, if you don't mind my asking?

It's interesting that they classify .65g/cm3 as rock hard, while Durofelt describes that as in between medium and hard.  Durofelt classifies rock hard as .80g/cm3.

Ken S

I purchased a felt wheel from the first batch sold by Knife Grinders. Vadim sent me an apology, explaining that the first batch was not satisfactory. I noticed that the width on my wheel was changed from 50 to 45mm. I had noticed on KG's original video that the 50mm width did not allow adequate thread protrusion to properly secure the nut. By all means, investigate the felt hardness; however, start with a 45mm thick wheel.

Ken

darita

That's it!  Durofelt.  Thank you.  Is the 2" thickness ok?

cbwx34

Quote from: darita on July 08, 2022, 12:25:37 AM
That's it!  Durofelt.  Thank you.  Is the 2" thickness ok?

Based on Ken's post, unless it's designed for the Tormek (with an indent like the grinding wheels), or you can cut one?, then probably not.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Drilon

The dimenion of the felt wheel is 250 mm dia. x 45 mm with arbor hole 12 mm. The unit price was US$ 75 / pc and 25 US$ for shipping.

The sales manager is Alan Chang (sales@puruipolishing.com).

Regards,
Drilon 

Drilon

Hello darita, a felt wheel of 2" width is too thick.

Regards,
Drilon

darita

Quote from: Drilon on July 08, 2022, 11:30:50 AM
The dimenion of the felt wheel is 250 mm dia. x 45 mm with arbor hole 12 mm. The unit price was US$ 75 / pc and 25 US$ for shipping.

So this wheel is .65 density.  I that like the KG felt wheel or should it be .80 density?

darita

Drilon, I appologize for having 2 threads going.  I watched the YT and see that .60 to .80 is the range.  Is there any way of knowing what KG used for his felt density?  From the Purui site, it seems possible to request your desired density.

BeSharp

See Vadim's video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIGhif76OCw

It's on YouTube, but is "private". Ifyou seach YT it wouldn't come up.

darita

Quote from: BeSharp on July 08, 2022, 06:32:56 PM
See Vadim's video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIGhif76OCw

It's on YouTube, but is "private". Ifyou seach YT it wouldn't come up.

The vid only says copy cats are illegal...?

Ken S

One of the useful "Tormek helpers" I have found is a three pack of metric fender washers from my local hardware store. They are listed with two dimensions. The first is "12" indicating the size of the bore (the hole). I don't recall the exact number of the outer diameter number. Thirty three or thirty eight comes to mind. This dimension is not critical.

With a two inch wheel, remove the spacer washer on the shaft. In its place, use as many fender washers as needed to provide clearance for the felt wheel from the Tormek frame. The felt wheel is used dry, so having stainless steel is not required.

Incidentally, if you happen to have both a larger Tormek and a T4, these felt wheels will fit on the T4. While the T4 frame is smaller, the water trough is not needed with felt wheels.The area of the shaft used to hold the wheel is almost identical for the 250mm and 200mm models.

Ken

darita

Quote from: Ken S on July 08, 2022, 06:56:28 PM
One of the useful "Tormek helpers" I have found is a three pack of metric fender washers from my local hardware store. They are listed with two dimensions. The first is "12" indicating the size of the bore (the hole). I don't recall the exact number of the outer diameter number. Thirty three or thirty eight comes to mind. This dimension is not critical.

With a two inch wheel, remove the spacer washer on the shaft. In its place, use as many fender washers as needed to provide clearance for the felt wheel from the Tormek frame. The felt wheel is used dry, so having stainless steel is not required.

Incidentally, if you happen to have both a larger Tormek and a T4, these felt wheels will fit on the T4. While the T4 frame is smaller, the water trough is not needed with felt wheels.The area of the shaft used to hold the wheel is almost identical for the 250mm and 200mm models.

Ken

So reading your post, it looks like I can use the 2" felt wheels from DuroFelt, using fender washers?  What has been the consensus on these wheels?