News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Compatibility Old T-2 vs. "New" T-2

Started by cbwx34, June 24, 2022, 12:19:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbwx34

Both pics are from the Tormek website...

Did the wheel change?  (And is it diamond coated on the side?)

???
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

CB,

I have emailed this topic to support and will post their reply when it arrives.

My observations: The original DWF-200 diamond grinding wheel for the T2 was the first diamond wheel introduced by Tormek. It was quickly followed by the DWC-200 wheel for heavier grinding. Tormek specifically marketed these only for the T2. The T2 is specifically designed to only be used dry and is marketed primarily for restaurant use by the Culinary Division of Tormek. The intended distribution network was restaurant supply venders.

Some T4 users, like me, quickly realized that these diamond wheels also worked very well with the T4, especially the more coarse DWC-200. We started clamoring for a series of diamond wheels which, like the DW-250 series for the larger models, could be used in the preferred Tormek wet mode.The new diamond wheels also have diamonds on the side.
Although not part of the original marketing parameters, the new side grit wheels allow the user to correct overground hollow spots on the blade curvature. In the latest online class (Q&A with the Sharpening Doctor), Wolfgang demonstrates thinning the bolster. Although not included in the instructions, I have successfully done this with my T2.

Tormek is commendable for carrying spare parts for older models. However, Tormek does not carry parts for older components when the improved version also works with older machines. When the EZYlock shafts were introduced, the previous straight shafts, stainless and regular steel were no longer available. I suspect that the original DWS series wheels will no longer be produced as the improved DW series wheels are available.

These thoughts are just my opinions.

Ken

cbwx34

Thanks.  I guess I should have added, what wheel does it now come with?  I thought it kind of weird that there was a mixture of pictures... and if I was buying one, unless there's a price difference, I would probably want to seek out the better wheel.

I know some places now sell the "New Edition", but it only shows the change to the guide.

Edit:  It might also be confusing if it's the new diamond wheel, since it comes with ACC, and recommended to be used with water, but the T-2 is used dry...  ???

Ken S

CB,

I am not surprised to see the changes in the T2. When my first T7 (purchased in 2009) was stolen during a burglary in 2011, I purchased a replacement. My original T7 came with the straight stainless steel shaft; rocker switch; and standard water tray. The 2011 version came with the EZYlock; safety switch; and Advanced Water Trough. Tormek ships new units with the latest innovations.

Within half an hour of when my T2 arrived, I mounted the DWF-200 grinding wheel and rubber honing wheel on my T4. Soon after, my DWC-200 coarse diamond wheel also ended up on my T4. In the computer world these would have been called "hacks".

My DWF is back on my T2. The DWC has been liberating. It really turbo charges the T2 and T4. The DW series wheels perform their designed function very well, waterless sharpening with the T2. If Tormek should decide to switch to the DF-200 for the T2, I can't imagine them including ACC in the package. Their design philosophy for the T2 is dry sharpening with the T2 always "at the ready".

Ken

cbwx34

Quote from: Ken S on June 28, 2022, 12:58:34 PM
My DWF is back on my T2. The DWC has been liberating. It really turbo charges the T2 and T4. The DW series wheels perform their designed function very well, waterless sharpening with the T2. If Tormek should decide to switch to the DF-200 for the T2, I can't imagine them including ACC in the package. Their design philosophy for the T2 is dry sharpening with the T2 always "at the ready".

Ken

Right now there are wheels for the T-2 (DWC & DWF), and the wheels for the T-4 (DC, DF, DE).

My question is from this T-2 for sale...

...which has a different style wheel... it's marked DWF (so T-2), but looks different than the original T-2 wheel.  Also can't tell if it has diamond on the side... kinda looks like it does not.  So maybe it's just a redesigned T-2 wheel.

Stickan

Hi,
The diamond wheels for the Tormek T-2 do not have any diamonds on the side of the wheel.
This new design came earlier this year and is similar to the wheels we offer to the T-3/T-4 machines in its design, except those have diamonds on the side of the wheel.
Since the T-2 is strictly for chef's knives, there is no need for the side to be coated with diamonds.

Best,
Stig

cbwx34

Quote from: Stickan on June 29, 2022, 02:38:49 PM
Hi,
The diamond wheels for the Tormek T-2 do not have any diamonds on the side of the wheel.
This new design came earlier this year and is similar to the wheels we offer to the T-3/T-4 machines in its design, except those have diamonds on the side of the wheel.
Since the T-2 is strictly for chef's knives, there is no need for the side to be coated with diamonds.

Best,
Stig

Thanks.

New question, what is the difference in knife size capabilities between the old and new Guide on the T-2?

Edit:  I may have found the answer...

Old:  You can sharpen knives which are 14-60 mm (9/16"-2 3/8") wide with a thickness of maximum 3.5 mm (1/8").  (From the T-2 specs... they've never been changed when the new Guide came out).

New?:  The patented guide can handle knives with blades 12–60 millimeters (0.5–2.4 inches) high and up to 5 millimeters (0.2 inches) thick, with unlimited length.  (Got this from the T-1 page, not sure if it's the same?).

cbwx34

I've changed the title of the thread, 'cause I have another question about compatibility... the old vs. the new Guide.

I received this picture...

... and noticed the bottom black plastic piece was different.  Then I found this picture on the internet...

... and noticed the new bar sticking out.

So, is the new Guide compatible with the older T-2?  ???

cbwx34

I got some info from a Tormek dealer, that indicates it's not compatible/upgradeable (at least not out of the box)...

QuoteThey changed the part which holds the jig, but the part is not available, so one would have to somehow rig using the new jig on older T-2s, i.e. figure out how to set the correct angle without having the new holder.

cbwx34

The answer I got from Tormek support, (if I could use the new guide on an original T-2)...

QuoteYes ,but you need to use the old pointer.
It will feel a bit tight ,but if you just sand the pointers hole inside slightly it will work perfect.
Or you leave it and let it get better with time.

Ken S

Whenever I purchase a new Tormek product, I generally prefer the latest version. In the case of the T2, I have seen the first version listed (at the same dealer) at $100 US less. From what I have read, the newer jig design is a real improvement, due to improved scratch resistance. However, Tormek did extensive field testing of the T2 in Sweden before introducing it to the world. I have to believe that if the original T2 passed muster with the Swedish CulinaryTeam and Michelin caliber chefs, it would be more than sufficient for my humble kitchen. The revised version makes an outstanding product even better.

For the present, until existing stock of the original version is exhausted, both versions may be available, with a $100US price difference. The main difference is the knife holder. Is the improved knife holder worth an additional $100? I leave that decision to you.

The information about the T2 needs to be updated, and not just about the knife holder. There was an early belief that the T4 and T8 were superior for knife sharpening. This belief was mostly supported by the availability of a wider variety of grinding wheels in 250mm diameter. With the introduction of the DWE-200, Tormek now offers its whole range of diamond wheels for the T2 and T4. (360, 600, and 1200). I am not disputing the flexibility of the T4 and T8. I am merely stating that the difference is no longer as pronounced as it once was.

How about all the knives which will not fit in the T2 knife holder? My personal kitchen knives range from paring knives to a ten inch chef's knife, plus a Chinese vegetable cleaver. Everything except the cleaver works well with the T2. The cleaver can work adequately, although I prefer the T8 with the US-430 larger support bar. You should examine the actual knives you intend to use. If you already have a larger workshop Tormek, is a trip or two to your shop a deciding factor?

Ken S

Tormek describes itself as a company of "sharpening innovation", an accurate description. As such, I would expect changes from my early T2 (now called the "original version") and today's version.

The main change is the knife holder. The revised holder lessens the possibility of scratching the knives. The original holder did this with post it notes. While this works, the protective pads of the new version are clearly an innovation.

Since the start of this topic, I have had the opportunity of examining both versions of the knife holder. (The new version of the T2 holder is identical with the T1 holder.)

The main castings are slightly different, as are the plastic holders. CB's photo in reply #7 shows these differences.
The thick part of the original plastic holder next to the metal casting has been replaced by a protective pad.
This change not only allows the addition of the protective pads, it also allows the maximum blade thickness to increase from 3.5mm to 5mm.

The two knife holders are not quite directly interchangeable. By using the original pointer and plastic pointer holder, the new holder functions perfectly with the original T2.

The parts for the new holder are available as a kit of parts for $89.95 USD. (part number 2480-07 Complete Jig) Is replacing an original holder worthwhile?
Perhaps for someone who routinely sharpens expensive knives or knives thicker than 3.5mm. My collection of home kitchen knives doesn't fit either of these categories. I do; however, fit the third category. I am a self confessed Tormek junkie.

For those whose knives fit in the original holder, and who sharpen few knives valuable enough to warrant using protective post it notes, they will continue to be satisfied with the original holder. The  choice is yours.

Ken

cbwx34

Quote from: Ken S on July 11, 2022, 08:05:44 PM
Tormek describes itself as a company of "sharpening innovation", an accurate description. As such, I would expect changes from my early T2 (now called the "original version") and today's version.

The main change is the knife holder. The revised holder lessens the possibility of scratching the knives. The original holder did this with post it notes. While this works, the protective pads of the new version are clearly an innovation.

Since the start of this topic, I have had the opportunity of examining both versions of the knife holder. (The new version of the T2 holder is identical with the T1 holder.)

The main castings are slightly different, as are the plastic holders. CB's photo in reply #7 shows these differences.
The thick part of the original plastic holder next to the metal casting has been replaced by a protective pad.
This change not only allows the addition of the protective pads, it also allows the maximum blade thickness to increase from 3.5mm to 5mm.

The two knife holders are not quite directly interchangeable. By using the original pointer and plastic pointer holder, the new holder functions perfectly with the original T2.

The parts for the new holder are available as a kit of parts for $89.95 USD. (part number 2480-07 Complete Jig) Is replacing an original holder worthwhile?
Perhaps for someone who routinely sharpens expensive knives or knives thicker than 3.5mm. My collection of home kitchen knives doesn't fit either of these categories. I do; however, fit the third category. I am a self confessed Tormek junkie.

For those whose knives fit in the original holder, and who sharpen few knives valuable enough to warrant using protective post it notes, they will continue to be satisfied with the original holder. The  choice is yours.

Ken

Or someone who uses the original guide to make a Platform Jig. ;)

Thanks for the update!

Ken S

CB,
Great minds think alike.  :)
The small platform you made beginning with the T2 jig is hands down the best designed small platform I have ever seen.
Ken