News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Knife Grinders CBN Wheels

Started by Thy Will Be Done, April 11, 2023, 12:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thy Will Be Done

I am looking at putting together a set of these over time but was wondering about the availability of these after Vadim has passed.  Does anybody know what the status is of his company and how they will be proceeding to fill order and production over time?  Do I need to order now or risk not getting them at all if they stop production on these?

Also, the other question is one of longevity of the wheels.  I need something for 'super steels' and these seem to be the best choice but I still question the longevity as Vadim has claimed them to be.  Even with being careful on pressure it still seems too optimistic that they would last 4000 knives.

3D Anvil

I believe Vadim's wheels are no longer available.  There are other options, though, e.g., Tormek's own diamond wheels or CBN wheels from schleifjunkies.com or woodworkerswonders.com.

I use the Schleif Junkies wheels.  I don't know the exact number, but it has to be in the range of 300-400 sharpenings now and they are holding up well.  The only apparent sign of wear is on the 1000 grit, square-edge wheel, which has lost some grit on the outer 1-1.5mm of the edges.

Ken S

TWBD,

Here is a link to the topic posted by Vadim's son, Daniel in May of 2022. At that time, there were no regular CBN wheels available, and no plans to restock.
I suggest you consider Tormek diamond wheels or one of the other brands of CBN wheels.

Assuming you sharpen knives, I recommend purchasing the online edition of Vadim's deburring book.

https://forum.tormek.com/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=34905

Ken