News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Improvised FVB

Started by RickKrung, October 12, 2022, 07:05:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RickKrung

Traveling with my T8 kit so I can sharpen friend's knives, etc. and forgot a few things:
  1) FVB,
  2) SJ wheel and 
  3) rock hard felt wheel for 1µ diamond paste. 

I'll just use the composite deburring wheel for the deburring; won't be the same, but will be adequate. 

The FVB is a little more troublesome.  Fortunately, I did bring the MB-100.  Took a bit of fiddling, but came up with and arrangement that will work.  Lacking threads on the posts results in cruder means for adjusting the position/height for angle setting, but can be made to work. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Sir Amwell

I like this improvised set up. I suppose if you were using bar to stone measurements it would work fine for keeping your angles consistent? I have used that jig for grinding chisels on the side of diamond stones and it works but you have to be mindful that it isn't always truly square.
Did it work for you?

RickKrung

Yes, I forgot about that issue.  That is the ONLY way I set angles, distance from the support bar to the grinding/honing wheel surfaces.  I do not apologize for forgetting...  ::)

For those who have not tried it and find themselves in a similar situation, give it a try. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Ken S

Impressive! Rick, you are thinking like an old machinist. I would expect nothing less from you.

Ken