News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Freehand grinding

Started by Rbodger, May 23, 2022, 02:01:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rbodger

I've had my Tormek since 1995 or so. Has anyone figured out how to freehand grind on the platform in the horizontal position on the vertical side so the wheel is pulling the tool down?  I can't do a 40 40 grind on the horizontal side because it pulls the tool up onto the wheel. Maybe drill holes in the vertical supports?
Holding a turning tool vertically is pretty awkward.

cbwx34

Quote from: Rbodger on May 23, 2022, 02:01:25 PM
I've had my Tormek since 1995 or so. Has anyone figured out how to freehand grind on the platform in the horizontal position on the vertical side so the wheel is pulling the tool down?  I can't do a 40 40 grind on the horizontal side because it pulls the tool up onto the wheel. Maybe drill holes in the vertical supports?
Holding a turning tool vertically is pretty awkward.

Not exactly sure what you're trying to accomplish, but would a Front Vertical Base mounted this way...

...help?  ???
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, Roger.

Yes, there is a way. In US English, we have an expression, a "Rube Goldberg" Rube Goldberg was a cartoon character known for devising very complicated ways to solve simple problems. I think this solution fits the profile.

Many years ago, we had a forum member, Robin C Bailey. Robin is an innovative sharpener who ran a sharpening service and also a sharpening school in Bath, England. Robin designed an oversize support bar, both in length and height. I wanted to be able to use the Tormek platform horizontally with the wheel turning into the tool. I inserted Robin''s support bar into the horizontal sleeves coming fro the vertical side. I was delighted to see that this arrangement made this possible. There was only one problem. This arrangement caused a great flood.

This was before diamond wheels. If I had to do this today, I would use a diamond wheel dry. Robin sold his extended support bar on his school website. I will post a link if I can find it. EDIT: Here is an email link to reach Robin:
info@sharpening-training.co.uk

Ken