News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

The return of the Platform Jig... and a Calculator?

Started by cbwx34, May 14, 2022, 01:59:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbwx34

With all the "concern" about the new KJ not having an adjustable Stop Collar (having one can speed up the process, especially in a commercial setting), will it mark the return of, or should I say, advancement of the Platform Jig?  And if so...

... would you use it?  ::)  (It can be customized for "home builds" within reason...)  ::)  I know most will say, "let's wait and see", just tossing out the idea.  :o

p.s.  If your answer is, "What's a Platform Jig?"... this thread will take you down the rabbit hole.  :)
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

micha

CBW,

I think a platform calculator is an interesting idea, (which, for me, has nothing to do with the absence of an adjustable stop collar in the KJ-45 design, btw.). I sure appreciate your efforts.

I just have some trouble with imagining some of the requirements. Are we talking about a strictly horizontally levelled platform here? And in the first measurement to enter, I'm not quite sure what "bottom of platform" refers to. Shouldn't it read "top of platform", too?

Maybe it's just due to my morning coffee not having done its job yet....  ;D

Dutchman

Quote from: cbwx34 on May 14, 2022, 01:59:12 AM
... would you use it?  ::)  (It can be customized for "home builds" within reason...)  ::)  I know most will say, "let's wait and see", just tossing out the idea.  :o
A drawing would help  ;)

cbwx34

Quote from: micha on May 14, 2022, 10:17:19 AM
I just have some trouble with imagining some of the requirements. Are we talking about a strictly horizontally levelled platform here? And in the first measurement to enter, I'm not quite sure what "bottom of platform" refers to. Shouldn't it read "top of platform", too?

The platform doesn't have to be horizontal, (it's use is demoed in this video).  The "bottom..." measurement works to set this up.

Quote from: Dutchman on May 14, 2022, 11:10:47 AM
A drawing would help  ;)

It's basically the same as the setup in this thread, (which is what sparked the idea).   

I'll probably use some pictures to illustrate the needed measurements, if it gets that far.  (I'm more interested in interest right now).  :) 

cbwx34

Ok, I managed to snap a couple of pics (thought I'd need another set of hands) of the measurements...

The examples show using a caliper or combo square (using something flat to line up the end of the ruler and platform) to measure the USB to Platform end, and a caliper to measure the USB to Platform bottom.

Tried to find the simplest way to take the needed measurements (adjustments as needed are in the calculator).  Of course, you'd only have to do this once.

RickKrung

I'm a happy user of your GoCalc app and don't fell a need for something else for knives.  But for the platform, this app could be useful.  I went looking for this app.  I clicked on the link in your signature line, looking for the QR code.  I must be missing something - uh, the QR code - couldn't find it on any of the pages when I clicked on that line.  What am I missing on how to find the QR code?

Rick

Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

cbwx34

Quote from: RickKrung on May 14, 2022, 04:53:13 PM
I'm a happy user of your GoCalc app and don't fell a need for something else for knives.  But for the platform, this app could be useful.  I went looking for this app.  I clicked on the link in your signature line, looking for the QR code.  I must be missing something - uh, the QR code - couldn't find it on any of the pages when I clicked on that line.  What am I missing on how to find the QR code?

Rick

It only exists on my computer right now.  ;)

I'll probably add it to the Calcapp Calculator (which is where the QR code goes to). 

p.s. The QR code is my avatar picture.

jvh

Hello,

something like that?

SVD-110: https://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=4181.msg32135#msg32135
Drawings:  https://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=4181.msg32140#msg32140

You can define any custom platform jig.
Correct jig diameter and projection length (from defined point) are enough for calculations, Reverse calculation of the set angle on tool rest can be done on BevelCalc sheet.

At TormekCalc since v2.63  ;)

jvh

cbwx34

Quote from: jvh on May 14, 2022, 09:29:38 PM
Hello,

something like that?

SVD-110: https://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=4181.msg32135#msg32135
Drawings:  https://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=4181.msg32140#msg32140

You can define any custom platform jig.
Correct jig diameter and projection length (from defined point) are enough for calculations, Reverse calculation of the set angle on tool rest can be done on BevelCalc sheet.

At TormekCalc since v2.63  ;)

jvh

Yessir... I know it's in TormekCalc (I used it to triple check my answers).  ;)

Mine is a tad different in that it's more specific to the setup.  Either one can be used though.

RickKrung

Quote from: cbwx34 on May 14, 2022, 05:06:38 PM
...snip...
It only exists on my computer right now.  ;)
...snip...
p.s. The QR code is my avatar picture.

That's what I was missing.  Duh.  Nice to know (sort of), though, that I wouldn't have found it had I found the QR thingy. ;D

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

cbwx34

Quote from: RickKrung on May 15, 2022, 06:47:47 AM
That's what I was missing.  Duh.  Nice to know (sort of), though, that I wouldn't have found it had I found the QR thingy. ;D

Rick

It should be on the Calcapp Calculator sometime tomorrow (so don't lose that QR thingy!)   ;D