News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Wheel Storage...Is This OK?

Started by darita, May 11, 2022, 08:14:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darita

I wanted a safe place to store my wheels, so I emptied out a drawer in the garage and set it up for wheels.  Is this a safe way to store them and not damage them in any way?  Hope so.

RichColvin

Derek,

The idea is sound.  Things to consider are:

• Many grinding wheels will have some residual water that they will drip out for a while.  In particular, the SB and SG grindstones really soak it up and it comes out over many hours.  When that water does come, you need to have a way for it not to pool in your drawer's bottom.
  • Be sure there is adequate room between the grindstones to grip them for removal.  You want to be sure you have the ability to really grab a wheel and not drop it.  The spacers you have seem like the space for your fingers would be tight if all the positions were used.  (But that may be an optical illusion based on the way the picture was taken.)
Kind regards,
Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

darita

Thanks Rich.  Ya, I made sure I could easily grab them when they are close together and ya, the stones are heavy.  This is mainly for long term storage as I seem to sharpen in spurts, rather than on a regular basis.  I do plan to make sure I give ample drying time to the SG prior to storing it in the drawer, however I may add some ventilation to the drawer just in case. 
I didn't initially want the wheel surfaces to contact anything long term, so I thought out using some kind of peg system to hold each wheel by its center whole.  What I decided on does contact the wheel surface on two strips, so I am a bit concerned about that, however this drawer was an easier solution and slides away well.

tgbto

The design is well thought out.

Is this medium in between the stones ? If yes I wouldn't trust it close to the damp stones. I would also consider a plastic bottom or some nautical-grade plywood to avoid mold slowly ruining it.

Ken S

Derek,

I share both the vote of confidence in your design and workmanship, as well as the concern with dampness. I used to store my grinding wheels in their original cardboard until I encountered the dampness issue. The wheels retain dampness for a very long time, often several days, even in a dry basement. I learned this the hard way.  :(

Ken

darita

Quote from: tgbto on May 12, 2022, 12:00:39 PM
The design is well thought out.

Is this medium in between the stones ? If yes I wouldn't trust it close to the damp stones. I would also consider a plastic bottom or some nautical-grade plywood to avoid mold slowly ruining it.

Yes.  I live in NorCal, where it's a fairly dry climate.  That said, even with my small, 6" long stones for TSProf, I'm careful to give a couple of days at least, for drying.  My Japanese stones stay in open air for days.  I have a drying rack that I will keep the wheels on for several days, after use.