News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Pivot Pin Collars

Started by Peck, May 08, 2022, 08:08:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peck

After looking at the pivot pin collars that RickKrung made I started thinking. What if you put a 12mm wide flat bar to hold the knife flat against the stone to prevent swale by holding the edge perfectly flat against the stone. The round stock would still allow you to rotate to sharpen the curved end.  Is there a draw back that I am missing before trying to make some of these?

RickKrung

Please elaborate, perhaps with a diagram or photo of a mock-up.  I am not envisioning what you are attempting to describe.

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Peck

90 degrees from the round stock you have welded on the collar . I was thinking of doing a rectangle stock 12mm x 45mm parallel to the knife edge.

cbwx34

I'm with Rick... guess I need to see it.   ???  I envision something flat coming out that would ride on top of the USB to hold the knife flat?  (Then I wonder why it has to be 12mmx45mm...).

Would have to see to understand, but in general, even though you don't really "lift" if you rotate the knife, you do a little, if for no other reason than allowing the handle on some knives to clear the USB.  You also need a little bit of freedom to work recurves, maybe grind a small area near a bolster, etc.

But the picture in my head could be wrong.  Duct tape something together and snap a photo.   ;)
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)