News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

FVB

Started by RLGL, April 30, 2022, 04:04:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RLGL

Is there a source in the US for the FVB?

cbwx34

Quote from: RLGL on April 30, 2022, 04:04:56 PM
Is there a source in the US for the FVB?

Forum member Rich Colvin is getting some made to sell, I think he's about a week or so away from getting them in.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

3D Anvil

Newbie question: is the main advantage of the FVB that it allows the same operation when sharpening away from the edge as you get sharpening into the edge? 

Or are people using it for honing?  Because it seems to me that honing would still have the problem of the grinding wheel getting in the way, no?

cbwx34

Quote from: 3D Anvil on May 01, 2022, 10:36:04 PM
Newbie question: is the main advantage of the FVB that it allows the same operation when sharpening away from the edge as you get sharpening into the edge? 

Or are people using it for honing?  Because it seems to me that honing would still have the problem of the grinding wheel getting in the way, no?

For me, honing with the FVB puts the knife in a better position vs. just honing off the bar horizontally.  (Assuming you want to use a guide to hone). Same on the grinding side.

And you're right about the grinding wheel getting in the way, that's why many use a spacer as talked about here (whole thread is worth reading BTW), and why Ken says "don't throw away that little white spacer that comes on a new Tormek". ;)

RickKrung

The FVB has many functions/benefits, primarily in the flexibility of positioning the USB vertically as well as horizontally on the front side of the Tx machines, for all sorts of tools/jigs, not just knives.  It also is extremely valuable in this capacity for bench and belt grinders.  I made my own just after Vadim introduced it several years ago and could use two more at least. 

I consider the FVB an essential accessory and would not want to be without it.

Rick

DBS-22 on a bench grinder

Holding the laser module for Line of Contact indication

Use with the BGM-100 accessory for setting up operations on a bench grinder

Plane blade on a bench grinder

On a Veil belt grinder.  This just show how it could be done.  I do not actually use this configuration.
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

tgbto

Rick, thank you for the ideas, I might be getting a few additional BGM-100s ;)

Cheers,

Nick.

dec11ad

Just finished fabricating my own FVB. Now all that's left is to test and find an angle calculator that will work with it..

cbwx34

Quote from: dec11ad on May 05, 2022, 11:59:09 PM
Just finished fabricating my own FVB. Now all that's left is to test and find an angle calculator that will work with it..

;D

(Or check links in my signature)...

dec11ad

Cool, thanks! Hope to check it out soon..

Seems to fit nicely  :)

Ken S

An FVB is not magic; it just positions the support bar more conveniently. This is a useful function; I do not mean to denigrate it. Your FVB should work fine with CB's Calcapp.

I have found the FVB useful beyond basic knife honing. It pairs well with the MB-100 for positioning the support bar for special set ups. Both are useful tools.

Ken