News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

NEWS! Two new knife jigs!

Started by Hugo Öhman, March 17, 2022, 10:07:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tgbto

I had overlooked the jig instructions, my bad. So yes, we will be able to clamp tapered blades nicely.

I have not found a word on using motion between the stops for convex edges though.

Ken S

Your first sentence says a lot. You are certainly not the first or only Tormek user to "overlook the jig instructions".

In my opinion, the primary reason for the new knife jig is the self centering feature. This feature seems automatic and needing little explanation. I am guessing that convexing may have been a secondary benefit, I don't fully understand the convexing procedure. It seems like it might be complex enough to require a more in depth explanation than just a short general video or a mention in a too often overlooked  instruction sheet.

I do not believe that Tormek would have even mentioned convexing if they were not convinced from extensive testing that the jig convexed well.

I look forward to learning more.

Ken

tgbto

Please pardon my poor english, I misspoke.

I meant I had not noticed the "Documents" tab on the Tormek jig presentation pages, although they might have been here for years. Not that I did not consider the instructions important, I've read the manual several times for each jig I own, and read it again each time I use the DBS-22 to commit it back to memory.

Cheers,

Nick.

Ken S

Nick,

I apparently misspoke, also. I meant no offense. Such things are easily overlooked. (For the record, I watch Alan Holtham's excellent video on the DBS-22 every time before sharpening drill bits.)

My point was supposed to be that convexing is a secondary benefit of the KJ-45 and perhaps too complex for a short video or even the instructions.

Ken

dewarner

I just spoke with Sharpening

Supplies, and they said the new knife jigs will not be available in the U.S. until June (no specific date). 

BeSharp

Ken S

Are they accepting pre-orders? Waiting is frustrating; however, based on my limited knowledge of the new jigs, I believe the new jigs will be worth the wait.

Ken

cbwx34

Quote from: dewarner on March 28, 2022, 04:45:03 PM
I just spoke with Sharpening

Supplies, and they said the new knife jigs will not be available in the U.S. until June (no specific date).

Clones will be out by then...  ;)    :D    :D
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

cbwx34

Quote from: Sharpco on March 19, 2022, 09:17:02 AM
Quote from: cbwx34 on March 18, 2022, 12:29:21 PM
I'm not convinced about the convex ability, but what I see (maybe) is a built in "pin pivot" collar. ;)

IMHO, the space is too narrow for "pin pivot". So I think we have to use both SVM and KJ.

Tormek actually (surprisingly) demonstrated pivoting off the front collar in their video, (although they say it's not necessary).

So, I'm back to "maybe"!  ;)
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

BeSharp

Quote from: Ken S on March 28, 2022, 05:36:01 PM
Are they accepting pre-orders? Waiting is frustrating; however, based on my limited knowledge of the new jigs, I believe the new jigs will be worth the wait.

Ken

In the video Wolfgang says shipments have left Sweden...

dewarner

Unfortunately, Tormek US says they are on a container ship that has been delayed. Their arrival is estimated for June with no date specified.

RickKrung

Quote from: cbwx34 on April 07, 2022, 04:39:52 PM
Tormek actually (surprisingly) demonstrated pivoting off the front collar in their video, (although they say it's not necessary).

So, I'm back to "maybe"!  ;)

I noticed that.  Got a small chuckle from it. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Ken S

Quote from: dewarner on April 07, 2022, 06:00:37 PM
Unfortunately, Tormek US says they are on a container ship that has been delayed. Their arrival is estimated for June with no date specified.

I forwarded this to Stig for clarification. Here is his reply:

"Hi Ken,
Just to clarify, shipping these days takes around 6 weeks before a container makes it over the Atlantic. Add some weeks of handling and we are into June.
There are no delays, it's normal shipping time and the jigs will be available thru our dealers mid-summer."

Ken

wderke

All of the below is true in addition to being told by Tormek that only limited quantities will be available in June. Advanced Machinery, having placed our orders with Tormek, is accepting pre-orders at this time.