News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

KnifeGrinders Frontal Vertical Base Question...

Started by darita, April 25, 2022, 03:50:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darita

I just purchased this FVB, as they call it, for honing and I'm wondering if the CalComp numbers for honing still apply?  Also, I may as well ask cuz it looks like I'm going down that road... I already have the Fine Diamond Wheel, so what other wheels do you suggest I get to attain a guided sharpener level sharpness and polish?

Drilon

Hello Darita, before buying more hardware I would suggest to read the booklet "Knife Deburring: Science behind the lasting razor edge" written by Dr. Vadim Kaichuk (RIP) known in our forum as "wootz" and watch his videos on YouTube.

Best regards,
Drilon

darita

Quote from: Drilon on April 25, 2022, 08:13:47 PM
Hello Darita, before buying more hardware I would suggest to read the booklet "Knife Deburring: Science behind the lasting razor edge" written by Dr. Vadim Kaichuk (RIP) known in our forum as "wootz" and watch his videos on YouTube.

Best regards,
Drilon
I do have that book and have "lightly" read it.  I know that I should probably be using the KG Angle Setter apps, but I have been working with the CalComp app as well. 

cbwx34

Quote from: darita on April 25, 2022, 03:50:29 PM
I just purchased this FVB, as they call it, for honing and I'm wondering if the CalComp numbers for honing still apply?

If you mean the Calcapp calculator, I don't know what you mean by "numbers for honing still apply".  (Also if you purchased the FVB from Knifegrinder's you'll probably get a refund, I don't think they're still selling them, based on other posts).

Quote from: darita on April 25, 2022, 08:33:49 PM
I know that I should probably be using the KG Angle Setter apps, but I have been working with the CalComp app as well. 

There's no reason/advantage to using one app over the other...
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

darita

Thanks.  I didn't know that, as they are still offered and purchasable on the KG site. Was there a reason given for the FVB no longer being sold?  Are the other products offered still being sold?
Quote from: cbwx34 on April 25, 2022, 08:47:13 PM
Quote from: darita on April 25, 2022, 03:50:29 PM
I just purchased this FVB, as they call it, for honing and I'm wondering if the CalComp numbers for honing still apply?

If you mean the Calcapp calculator, I don't know what you mean by "numbers for honing still apply".  (Also if you purchased the FVB from Knifegrinder's you'll probably get a refund, I don't think they're still selling them, based on other posts).

Quote from: darita on April 25, 2022, 08:33:49 PM
I know that I should probably be using the KG Angle Setter apps, but I have been working with the CalComp app as well. 

There's no reason/advantage to using one app over the other...

darita

Where can I get Angle Setting app for Honing?  I didn't see it in the Angle Grinding Setter app.

Drilon

The reason that there are no more supplies from Knifeginders is the our friend Vadim sadly passed away in January.

Calcapp is the right app to calulate the right height of the USB. There is no difference if you sharpen or if you hone. Only the wheel diameter and probably the angle are different.

darita

That really is too bad, as I have watched several of his videos and see that he is the guru of Tormek sharpening. 
I read that SchleifJunkies sells a FVB as well.  Is that basically the same part as the KG part and is it used with a SchleifJunkies app?

Drilon

You can use the FVB of Schleifjunkies together with the Calcapp calculator. The advantage of Calcapp is that it is "machine independant". The result simply is the distance between the top of the USB and the wheel surface.