News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Are There Differences Between SuperGrind 2000 and T8?

Started by darita, April 22, 2022, 11:15:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darita

I have a SuperGrind 2000 and wondered if it would be worth my while to upgrade to a T8?  I'm curious as to the differences between the two?

Ken S

Derek,

There are definitely differences. For a new user wanting to purchase a first Tormek, I would recommend a new or nearly new (with transferable warranty) T8 or T4. The strength of the used Tormek market really negates the cost savings vs possible repair costs of most older machines.

In your case, the answer is not so simple. Yes, there have been numerous improvements over the years. Manufacturing processes and materials have evolved in the last twenty years. The older main shafts were made of non stainless steel and sometimes had rust problems. The earlier frames were also made of steel and sometimes had rust problems. Drive wheels were made of plastic, which sometimes cracked. Over the years, Tormek engineers have worked with evolving manufacturing and material technology to minimize or eliminate these problems. Since 2006, all main shafts have been made of stainless steel and now feature the EZYlock. Starting with the introduction of the T4 in 2014, the machine tops are precision machined of zinc, with other parts of the frame made of strong, non rusting ABS. The rubber drive wheels use a patented rubberlike material for better performance and are made of zinc, a substantial improvement.

Most of these improvements can be added to earlier machines with available new parts. The newer support bars have Microadjust, a notable improvement. New stainless EZYlock shafts are available as are newer design water troughs (designed for the T7, not the adjustable design for the T8). New zinc drive wheels are available.

Most significantly, new machines have the eight year (5+3) legendary Tormek warranty.

With reasonable care, your SuperGrind should give you many more years of faithful service. Being a thrifty person, if I were in your position, I would think long and hard about replacing a good running SuperGrind. I would replace/upgrade as needed. Ideally, I would keep the SuperGrind as a very useful second Tormek and add a T8. Just like having a second vehicle, having a second Tormek is a convenient luxury. Based on the history of the second hand Tormek market, if you would someday decide the second Tormek was beyond your needs, either would hold its value well.

Ken

darita

Thanks once again Ken.  Great information and just what I needed to know.  I have been upgrading the SG over the years, but it might be time for me to get the T8 for some of the reasons you stated.  I can get a "tool only" type deal for about $450 on a new T8 and put my new diamond wheel on that, keeping the SG with the original wheel.  Once again, thank you for your help. 

Ken S

Derek,
You are a logical candidate for the T8 Custom.
Ken