News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

KJ-45 - first thoughts

Started by micha, April 20, 2022, 10:14:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbwx34

Quote from: Alston on May 02, 2022, 11:17:11 AM
The new jig looks a lot nicer than the old version but being largely plastic one has to wonder if it's as durable.
I'm wondering how well it's going to clamp the blade. Many knife blades are tapered but in the opposite direction to that which appears in the above photo of the clamp?
"Time" will have to answer the durability issue.

The "above photo" is probably deceptive, when the blade is clamped it will conform to the side of the blade.  You should see it better in Tormek's Sharpening Class on the topic.

(Side note:  You might consider posting smaller pictures in the future.)  :)
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

micha

Very expensive but the clamping may be better?

I actually own either of these jigs and can confirm the KJ-45 clamps even better with less force, because the clamp easily adapts to the taper of the blade.
That's what the rubber shims are for in the Schleifjunkies model, which is still a good jig for bulky and wider blades with little taper.

Ken S

"An observation from a newbie on this site. The new jig looks a lot nicer than the old version but being largely plastic one has to wonder if it's as durable. It obviously doesn't have the adjustable collar that most jigs of this type have either. I'm wondering how well it's going to clamp the blade. Many knife blades are tapered but in the opposite direction to that which appears in the above photo of the clamp?"

I think we should reevaluate our thoughts on plastic. Plastic has evolved over the years.

I also think we need to reevaluate the importance of the adjustable stop. Both the screw lock and the rubber O ring can be problematic. Maybe the simpler design of the fixed Projection design of the KJ-45 will prove to be the least problematic design.

Ken