News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

CBN on T2?

Started by Bronson, April 17, 2022, 09:02:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bronson

Hey all. 😀

I'm the lucky owner of a T2.
Also bought the rough diamond disc (DWC-200)
Have a small company where I sharpen knives for private customers. There are often very dull knives I have to sharpen. Sometimes with major injuries.
I have two questions:
1) Can I use a Diamond Disc from T4, e.g. DF-200, DC-200?
2) Can I use a CBN disc with the same dimensions? Would be nice with 180 Grit for repairs.
Has asked Tormek without success.

Happy Easter

cbwx34

Quote from: Bronson on April 17, 2022, 09:02:28 PM
Hey all. 😀

I'm the lucky owner of a T2.
Also bought the rough diamond disc (DWC-200)
Have a small company where I sharpen knives for private customers. There are often very dull knives I have to sharpen. Sometimes with major injuries.
I have two questions:
1) Can I use a Diamond Disc from T4, e.g. DF-200, DC-200?
2) Can I use a CBN disc with the same dimensions? Would be nice with 180 Grit for repairs.
Has asked Tormek without success.

Happy Easter

The T-2 is basically the same casing as the T-4, so from what I can tell you can use any wheel that fits on the T-4 and has the same dimensions as the T-2 wheel.  The only thing you need is a washer (spacer)... if you look at the side of the T-2 wheel (closest to the casing) it's "built in".
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

David,
Good questions. I have both a T4 and a T2. Except for the mounting bracket for the T2 knife jig and the color, the T4 and the T2 are identical. Within half an hour of when I unboxed my T2, the DWF-200 was on my T4, working perfectly. Same with the DWC-200. Recently, Tormek announced adding the DWE-200, a 1200 grit wheel. That gives you 360, 600, and 1200 grit, plus the composite honing wheel (which also fits on the T4). That's a lot of firepower.

I don't see any advantages in the D series for you. The DW wheels are designed to be used dry, as is the T2; the D series are designed to be used wet (with ACC solution). Grit numbers do not tell the whole story. I have found the DWC-200 a very aggressive grinding wheel. I don't think you would see much difference between a 360 grit wheel and a 180.

Of the knives you sharpen, how many are "very dull, with major injuries"? I suspect all are doable with your
DWC-200. More time would be required. You would be justified in adding a surcharge for the extra labor involved.
Be sure to include the cost of another grinding wheel in your decision.

Ken