News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

When to apply PA-70 honing compound?

Started by Ken S, April 05, 2022, 11:52:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

Wolfgang Hess makes an interesting comment in the online classes. He states that the honing compound works most effectively when it is almost dry. However, I do not recall watching any video, old or new, where the honing compound is not applied directly before honing.

There is a short time period when the water trough is being filled where the SG grinding wheel absorbs water. Allowing this absorption process to complete (less than a minute) before sharpening permits using the minimum water needed, This lessens spillage. Why not use this absorption time to apply the honing compound? It streamlines the switch from grinding to honing and it allows the PA-70 to dry slightly. When more compound is added during the sharpening session, why not apply it before sharpening the tool?

This may not seem like a big step; however, it is a small step in the right direction.

Ken

John_B

Another interesting thing I have observed with PA-70 is that it seems to produce a finer edge as it is repeatedly used. I tend to not apply the compound too often. During my sharpening I strive to create a small burr the length of the blade so the amount of material removed during honing is minimized.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

Ken S

Good observation, John. It reminds me of a comment Ernie Conover made in a woodworking class. Garnet sandpaper breaks down with use and becomes finer. I believe your attention to detail will produce superior results.

Ken

tgbto

I have noticed that the PA-70 dries quickly (if not applied in large quantities, I suppose) during honing, a few strokes are usually enough. If so, it seems that the time it takes to dry might not be too much of an issue.

I also think that beginning to hone right away, when the compound is still slightly moist and fluid, allows for an homogeneous spreading of the paste over the leather wheel. When I apply it directly from the tube, it has the tendency to form small ridges.

Cheers,

Nick.

cbwx34

I've pretty much switched to using the Composite Wheel... wonder if Tormek will ever make it the primary wheel for all models? (Since it has for some models already).

Any reason not to?  ???
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

John_B

Quote from: cbwx34 on April 06, 2022, 02:51:48 PM
I've pretty much switched to using the Composite Wheel... wonder if Tormek will ever make it the primary wheel for all models? (Since it has for some models already).

Any reason not to?  ???

Have you done any comparisons using the composite wheel and the standard one?

For my own knives I use 2 wheels. The standard leather with PA-70 and a second one with 1µ diamonds.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

Ken S

John,

Several years ago, before Tormek introduced its diamond wheels, I reviewed CBN wheels for the forum. Out of curiosity, I sharpened one of my practice chisels with the 80 grit CBN wheel and then went directly to the Tormek leather honing wheel with PA-70. I used full pressure and honing time, not recommended for general use. To my surprise, the chisel gave a very respectable BESS reading of 135. The bevel was not smooth or shiny, but the chisel worked well.
(Something for the "cheap and dirty" file when needed.  :)   )

Ken

cbwx34

Quote from: john.jcb on April 06, 2022, 09:32:24 PM
Quote from: cbwx34 on April 06, 2022, 02:51:48 PM

Any reason not to?  ???

Have you done any comparisons using the composite wheel and the standard one?

For my own knives I use 2 wheels. The standard leather with PA-70 and a second one with 1µ diamonds.

My personal observation is there isn't much difference in results between the two... at least not on a practical level.  (And nobody else I sharpen for seemed to notice).  But no "official" comparison.

tgbto

In my experience, the Composite wheel tends to work faster but leave an edge surface with more scratches than the PA-70...

cbwx34

Quote from: tgbto on April 12, 2022, 02:53:18 PM
In my experience, the Composite wheel tends to work faster but leave an edge surface with more scratches than the PA-70...

It probably should, since the compound tends to break down.  (I haven't paid attention to the finish).