News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Pin Pivot Collar Use for Convex Bevels

Started by RickKrung, April 07, 2022, 04:20:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RickKrung

Still watching (listening while typing) the KJ self-centering jig video.  It occurs to me that the pin pivot collar can be used, turned around, with a second stop further out )of either type), to replicate the convex bevel creation method they demonstrated with the new "two-stop" feature.  This would be with the existing SVM-xx jigs.  Haven't tried it, but I see no reason why it wouldn't work.  By varying the distance between the stops, different curvatures of the convexity could be created.

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

van

I agree perfectly! is what I have always maintained but many have said that convex is not possible on Tormek. I respect everyone's ideas, but even if with a lot of effort I have always obtained an acceptable convex by applying a second stop.
Kindly yours

Ken S

The SE-76 and 77 include a removable stop collar for the support bar. Would that work as a second stop for convexing?

Ken

van

I don't know how to answer you. I have always used a 12mm collar from the Ruland company
Kindly yours

RickKrung

Quote from: Ken S on April 07, 2022, 05:53:26 PM
The SE-76 and 77 include a removable stop collar for the support bar. Would that work as a second stop for convexing?

Ken

As long as it fits on the SVM jigs.  They are cast zinc and are not necessarily as close to 12mm as the support bars.  Part of the issue may be the parting line being slightly oversized.  Otherwise, it could, although, being not very large in diameter, it could slip up over the support bar easily.  12mm OD collar only gets to the centerline of the support bar, slightest lift/lack of pressure right there easy to have it slip up over it.  That is actually why there are "pins" on the Pin Pivot Collar.  Notice the height of the tabs of the inner stop in the KJ jigs. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.