News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

NEWS! Two new knife jigs!

Started by Hugo Öhman, March 17, 2022, 10:07:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hugo Öhman

Dear Tormek Forum Community,

Once again we have great news, this time for all you knife sharpening enthusiasts out there!

Tomorrow we will be making two new products official. Namely two new, self-centering, patented knife jigs! Product pages will be published tomorrow Friday March 18. New live episodes in English, French, German and Swedish are to be expected quite soon as well.

We hope you are as excited about this as we are. Stay tuned – and stay sharp!

/Hugo and the Tormek Team

Ken S

Wow! This was a long anticipated surprise. I feel like we have been on a long sea voyage and have finally sighted land.
Thank you, Hugo, for posting this.

Ken

tgbto

cbwx34

I did a patent search... not sure if this is it, (but an interesting read)....

https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/23/de/39/44aded944fadd8/US20200316748A1.pdf

A part that I found interesting...

QuoteThe front end and rear end abutment surfaces allows the grinding jig to be moved in a controlled manner back and forth relative the support bar during grinding of the blade. Practical trials have shown that this controlled movement, limited between the front and rear abutment parts, results in that a convex bevel is achieved on the edges of the blade tool during grinding . Such convex edges are proven to be very strong.

... in addition to centering of course. ;)
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

The Smoker

Quote from: Hugo Öhman on March 17, 2022, 10:07:12 AM
Dear Tormek Forum Community,

Once again we have great news, this time for all you knife sharpening enthusiasts out there!

Tomorrow we will be making two new products official. Namely two new, self-centering, patented knife jigs! Product pages will be published tomorrow Friday March 18. New live episodes in English, French, German and Swedish are to be expected quite soon as well.

We hope you are as excited about this as we are. Stay tuned – and stay sharp!

/Hugo and the Tormek Team

At last - waiting for so long - I'm really thrilled and great praise to the swedish constructors  ;D

BeSharp

Exciting news! Looking forward to them!

Mitch

Quote from: cbwx34 on March 17, 2022, 01:40:24 PM
A part that I found interesting...

QuoteThe front end and rear end abutment surfaces allows the grinding jig to be moved in a controlled manner back and forth relative the support bar during grinding of the blade. Practical trials have shown that this controlled movement, limited between the front and rear abutment parts, results in that a convex bevel is achieved on the edges of the blade tool during grinding . Such convex edges are proven to be very strong.

... in addition to centering of course. ;)

I've thought of this in the past (not trying to claim credit, I never posted about it). Add a second collar to make a top and bottom limit, the only thing I couldn't figure was the practical process. with KME's convex bar, you run the stone perpendicular to the edge and move it along the edge stone-width by stone-width. I had imagined it being similar here. Curved blades concerned me, getting the grinding all the way through.

Ken S

Here is a link to the just posted description on the Tormek website:

https://www.tormek.com/international/en/grinding-jigs/kj-45-centering-knife-jig/

https://www.tormek.com/international/en/grinding-jigs/kj-140-wide-centering-knife-jig/

The new knife jigs do a lot more than self centering. They also make it easier to grind convex edges, thus making it possible to grind the standard concave edges, flat grind (with diamond wheels using the side), and convex edges using the same jig. The jig is designed to enable sharpening wide knives such as cleavers without the need for the US-430, although the US-430 is still needed for longer knives.

Remarkable.

Ken

cbwx34

Quote from: Ken S on March 18, 2022, 08:58:24 AM
Here is a link to the just posted description on the Tormek website:

https://www.tormek.com/international/en/grinding-jigs/kj-45-centering-knife-jig/

https://www.tormek.com/international/en/grinding-jigs/kj-140-wide-centering-knife-jig/

The new knife jigs do a lot more than self centering. They also make it easier to grind convex edges, thus making it possible to grind the standard concave edges, flat grind (with diamond wheels using the side), and convex edges using the same jig. The jig is designed to enable sharpening wide knives such as cleavers without the need for the US-430, although the US-430 is still needed for longer knives.

Remarkable.

Ken

I'm not convinced about the convex ability, but what I see (maybe) is a built in "pin pivot" collar. ;)

Edit:  This is another feature worth mentioning...

QuoteCenters tapered knives and holds them firmly.

RickKrung

Appears to impose a fixed projection distance, for the upper collar.  Probably not a big deal, I always use 139mm, easy enough to change.  Just wondering what it is, as nothing is mentioned about it in the Tormek blurbs (that I've found). 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Ken S

The very short video left me with more questions than answers. I hope an online class type video will be forthcoming. I believe these two new jigs will satisfy our hopes for better jigs.

Ken

Ken S

tormek.com now has the instructions for the two new knife jigs in four languages. Here is a link:

https://www.tormek.com/media/3946659/instruction-kj-45-and-kj-140_en-sv-de-fr.pdf

Instead of fine adjustment with the adjustable stop, it seems that there are now two fixed stops on the shaft and that fine adjustment is only done with the microadjust on the support bar.

Ken

RickKrung

Quote from: Ken S on March 18, 2022, 11:29:46 PM
tormek.com now has the instructions for the two new knife jigs in four languages. Here is a link:

https://www.tormek.com/media/3946659/instruction-kj-45-and-kj-140_en-sv-de-fr.pdf

Instead of fine adjustment with the adjustable stop, it seems that there are now two fixed stops on the shaft and that fine adjustment is only done with the microadjust on the support bar.

Ken

Interesting.  It was obvious that there projection distance is fixed for both of the stops.  Given that I only used 139mm as that projection distance, except for the very unusually wide blade, I have always only used the Micro-Adjust for fine adjustment of the angle, so not much difference other than switching to the new fixed projection, whatever that may be.  The manual does not state what the projection distances are for the two fixed stop positions. 

It would seem like as the knife spine gets thicker, the two halves of the shaft will be spread further apart.  Or maybe it is the sharply angled primary beveled blades where the jaws much incline to grip the blade uniformly where the shaft halves will be spread apart the most, more so out toward the further stop.  I wonder what that does to angle setting with the software apps as the shaft "diameter" will be 12mm for only a few blade thicknesses. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

cbwx34

Quote from: RickKrung on March 19, 2022, 12:51:16 AM
Interesting.  It was obvious that there projection distance is fixed for both of the stops.  Given that I only used 139mm as that projection distance, except for the very unusually wide blade, I have always only used the Micro-Adjust for fine adjustment of the angle, so not much difference other than switching to the new fixed projection, whatever that may be.  The manual does not state what the projection distances are for the two fixed stop positions. 

It would seem like as the knife spine gets thicker, the two halves of the shaft will be spread further apart.  Or maybe it is the sharply angled primary beveled blades where the jaws much incline to grip the blade uniformly where the shaft halves will be spread apart the most, more so out toward the further stop.  I wonder what that does to angle setting with the software apps as the shaft "diameter" will be 12mm for only a few blade thicknesses. 

Rick

I doubt Tormek is going to provide "Projection Distance" info, since it's not something they use.

I already messed with the numbers a bit... it takes around 6mm of change to equal 1 degree.  If it ends up mattering, I'll probably modify Calcapp to allow the user to input the diameter/thickness.  Some, (like TormekCalc2), already allow this.  Like you've described, it'll probably depend on what actually happens when a thicker blade is clamped.