News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

How much to charge for knife sharpening?

Started by TireguyfromMA, March 13, 2022, 10:15:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TireguyfromMA

I still consider myself a rookie at this but I'm really kind of obsessed with sharpening.  Bought a T8 about a month ago with about six different jigs to sharpen knives, scissors, and wood carving tools, and honing wheels along with the SJ-250 Japanese Wet Stone...what a nice finish that puts on the blade.   I've been charging $5/knife, $6/ scissors.  I was wondering what others are charging?  Do you charge by the knife, or do you charge by the size of the blade?  I've seen some people charge $1/inch, that seems reasonable also. Since I'm just getting started I'm kinda building a customer base now.  I figure after a year or less I could ask a little more.   I'd like to hear what others here are charging for knives, scissors and wood carving tools.   Thanks!

RickKrung

When I have done work for pay, and I still do occasionally, I charge $5 per blade, which means scissors are $10.  As for charging by length, I think there should be a minimum as there is the same and sometime more setup required for very short blades and the time increment of long blades is really not that much greater.  That makes me think there probably should be a maximum as well.  Just my 2ยข.

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Garrett47

I have been charging $1 per inch of blade, with $3 minimum and $8 cap. Scissors are $8, including pinking shears. Hand pruners and loppers are also $8. Have a browse around Poppiesedge.com. for the rest of our service list and pricing.