News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

There is a regulation for mounting the SJ-250

Started by Pietje, February 20, 2022, 11:15:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pietje

Hi folks!
That was new to me.
The SJ-250 has to be mounted only with writing upwards.
If you do not so the rotation of the dics is not correct.
That´s the info from Tormek Customer Service.

For me that´s trash. So my next wheel is a CBN with 6µ.

Pietje

Ken S

Pietje,

REGULATION:
Definitions
Definitions from Oxford Languages · Learn more
noun
a rule or directive made and maintained by an authority.

I believe we may have different ideas about the word usage. Tormek will not confiscate your SJ if you mount your wheel with the writing upwards. The Japanese water stone  has a softer material than the harder SG wheel. Therefore, it is more prone to having the bore wear. Mounting your SJ wheel is a suggestion to enhance the trueness.

Switching to another kind of wheel will not necessarily guarantee increased wheel trueness. Many third party wheels sold for use with the Tormek have larger diameter bore, typically 5/8" or 1". These are primarily designed for higher speed dry grinders. They may have well machined reducing bushings or, more typically, a set of plastic bushings or a loose fitting stainless steel bushing. Both of these options can introduce a sloppy fit.

Mounting the wheel with the writing upwards is a very simple procedure to maximize accuracy. It should be a habit with all of your grinding wheels, either Tormek or third party.

The difference between a Tormek wheel (SJ, SG, or SB) and either CBN or diamond is that the trueness can be refined on the Tormek wheels with a light pass with the TT-50 truing tool. With CBN or diamond wheels, your degree of trueness is limited to whatever the factory or reducing bushings produce produce added to the wear of the grains.

If you are truly particular about wheel trueness, the most accurate choice is a freshly trued Tormek grinding wheel. Always mounting writing up minimizes the amount of truing needed.

Ken

RichColvin

---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Beaker

Further to what Ken and Rich said:

Most of my wheels are trued and installed with the writing up the same each time they are installed (SG-250 and Stun Tiger #800). However as Tormek acknowledges, the SJ-250 has looser tolerances than the SG, SB or diamond wheels.  I therefore found that to get the least "lateral wobble" with my SJ-250 stone, I actually had to use trial and error to find the "best position" for that particular stone.  As it turns out that ended up being with the 9 o'clock position actually configured at what would be the 12 o'clock location.  This gave me the least wobble, so I marked that location with a sharpie marker, and that wheel I trued to that position and always re-mount at that position.  Listen to what Sebastien says at t=20min 3 seconds of the Tormek Live tips and tricks linked below.  This worked well for me to get the least wobble on my SJ stone.

https://youtu.be/0htKSoTBjoI?t=1184

Beaker.