News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Rock Hard Felt Wheel

Started by MartinC, February 18, 2022, 02:38:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MartinC

Does anyone have a suggestion for where to get a Rock Hard Felt Wheel?

I ordered one from Knife Grinders in December and with Vladim's unfortunate passing, I don't think I will be getting the one I ordered. I've tried emailing, however I have not heard back from any of the email address I have tried. I'm not upset, if the small amount for the wheel will help the family in anyway, then all is good.

I do, however, want to explore the use of a felt wheel, just not sure where to purchase from.

Thanks

RickKrung

Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

BeSharp

+ 1 on DuroFelt. Vadim told me he has also ordered from DuroFelt.

dewarner

I recently ordered 2 rock hard felt wheels from Durofelt.  The service was great, and I received them quickly.  One of wheels was true, but the other was not.  The felt inserts that are made to work with Tormek had variable quality.  I found that they are not all drilled straight, which results in wheel wobble.  Durofelt promptly replaced the wheel and insert that were defective. 

John_B

Quote from: dewarner on February 19, 2022, 07:43:41 PM
I recently ordered 2 rock hard felt wheels from Durofelt.  The service was great, and I received them quickly.  One of wheels was true, but the other was not.  The felt inserts that are made to work with Tormek had variable quality.  I found that they are not all drilled straight, which results in wheel wobble.  Durofelt promptly replaced the wheel and insert that were defective.

Would you mind linking to the wheels you bought?
Do you see an increase in sharpness? Do you need to add anything before use?
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

Beaker

I have one of the 10" x 2" Rock Hard Durofelt wheels.  My observation and experience are as follows:

1. The wheel was well made, true and straight (See Image 1)
2. The wheel actual dimensions were 254.6mm diameter and 52.5mm thick
3. Wheel had a mass of 2,004 grams, volume of 2,667 cm^3 for a density of 0.75g/cm^3 (Advertised as 0.80 g/cm^3)
4. The wheel has a 1" (25.4mm) central hole diameter that is adapted to the Tormek shaft (12mm) via two pre-installed felt bushings (See Image 2)
5. The felt bushings fit very nice and snug on the Tormek shaft, so snug that I had to spin the wheel over the threads rather than just push it on the shaft (same upon removal) - I found this quite annoying when placing and removing the wheel, so I replaced the felt bushings with an aluminum bushing (OD= 25.4mm ID= 12.1mm) (Image 2)
6. The excess width of the wheel (52.5mm) meant that it actually could not fit on the Tormek with the standard spacer as there were no exposed threads to install the knurled nut (Image 3)
7.  I therefore replaced the standard spacer with a 12M stainless steel fender washer to gain enough space back to get some exposed threads (Image 4 and Image 5)
8. The wheel has a slight wobble, but nothing that affects the results of deburring.

Beaker.

Ken S

Beaker,

One of the problems that third parties have with accessories for the Tormek is that they really do not understand the Tormek. Even Knife Grinders initially had a problem with its felt wheels. I purchased one of the initial batch. I had a delay in receiving it because Vadim had to reject the first batch. The Tormek 250 x 50mm grinding wheels have an inset on the outside face. The initial batch of KG felt wheels were 50mm thick with no inset. They had the same problem you have encountered with being too thick for the threads. To his credit, Vadim, who did understand the Tormek, corrected the problem by using 250 x 45mm felt wheels. Problem solved, although I suspect they were a custom size wheel and probably more expensive.

Ken

Pietje

Hello!
A s I understand, Durofelt has a problem.
There is no problem with the 250 rockhard https://www.mototechnica-shop.de/Schnaeppchen-Fehlserie-Abweichung-einige-mm-Filzscheibe-Grat-Entfernen-Messer-und-Polieren--leichte-Massabweichung---Farbdivergenzen-rockhart-250-x-30.html

There is also
Quotehttps://schleifjunkies.de
International sending

So long
Pietje

Beaker

Thomas,

Those Moto-Technica wheels also are harder than the Durofelt version (at least advertised as such).  They are listed at 0.9 g/cm3 rather than 0.8 g/cm3.  I know that Vadim (aka "Wootz" R.I.P.) warned that the higher density felt wheels were too hard for mainstream knives, but worked good for very hard "negative burr" steels (see link below).  I can't say if this is true or not as I have only used the durofelt rock-hard wheel at 0.75g/cm3 and can say that it does work good on mainstream knives.

https://youtu.be/5iqnvD8_M2k?t=659

Beaker.

Thomas S.

Hello Baker,

thanks for your info and the link (R.I.P. Vadim)!

There would also be the possibility of ordering an "Extra Hard" (approx. 0.68 - 0.72) DM 250x30mm.

https://www.mototechnica-shop.de/Filzscheibe-Filzpolierscheibe-Filzrad-Filzscheibe-Filzpolierscheibe-30mm-breit-sehr-hart-glatt--30-mm-breit--Durchmesser-waehlbar-Glanzpolieren-Polierfilz.html

greeting
Thomas

jeffs55

I wonder what the advantage of a rock hard felt wheel has over the standard leather wheel when installed on a Tormek.
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

cbwx34

Quote from: jeffs55 on March 09, 2022, 01:09:23 PM
I wonder what the advantage of a rock hard felt wheel has over the standard leather wheel when installed on a Tormek.

Felt can do a better job of deburring.  (Do a Google search on deburring with felt... there's a lot of info on it...).  ::)
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Dave Cummins

I too placed an order with Knife Grinders for some felt wheels. Sadly, with the passing of Vadim, it is doubtful I will receive my order. On the advice of Ken (administrator) I have made contact with KG via PayPal, whom I used to pay for the wheels and am waiting on a response.

In the meantime I have read some of the informative feedback through this forum, so thanks to you all.

I have come across this company (China) and am wondering if any of our Tormek Community members have used their felt wheels. Here is the link.

https://www.puruipolishing.com/product/felt-knife-sharpening-wheels/
https://www.puruipolishing.com/product/10-inch-rock-hard-felt-wheel/

Any thought or comments?
Dave

Arthur

I think the density of 65 felt is too small.