News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Rock Hard Felt Wheel

Started by MartinC, February 18, 2022, 02:38:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

Dave,

I have no first hand experience with this company; however, I do have a felt wheel that I purchased from Knife Grinders. Vadim advised me that my order would be delayed because the first batch of fifty was not up to his standards. I believe the problem was the width of the wheel. 50mm was too wide to allow enough threading space for the EZYlock. (The 50mm Tormek wheels are indented on the size.)
The new KG felt wheels were 45mm wide, allowing the EZYlock to work properly. The wheels you are looking at are Australian wool and 45mm wide. My guess is that this company made these wheels for Knife Grinders. They are the closest match I have seen to the KG wheels.

Ken

Dave Cummins

I have copied and pasted the reply from http://www.puruipolishing.com/ meaning they can manufacture to a harder density.

The density of the felt wheel we quoted you yesterday is 0.65g/cm³, same as knifegrinders KG Australia.

The density 0.8g/cm³ can be made, and the unit price is USD120/pc for size 250mm x 45mm x 12mm arbor hole(square edge type). And the unit price is USD70/pc for size 240mm x 25mm x 12mm arbor hole (double tapered type).

Lead time 15-20 days.
Dave

darita

Quote from: Beaker on February 20, 2022, 04:05:26 AM
I have one of the 10" x 2" Rock Hard Durofelt wheels.  My observation and experience are as follows:

1. The wheel was well made, true and straight (See Image 1)
2. The wheel actual dimensions were 254.6mm diameter and 52.5mm thick
3. Wheel had a mass of 2,004 grams, volume of 2,667 cm^3 for a density of 0.75g/cm^3 (Advertised as 0.80 g/cm^3)
4. The wheel has a 1" (25.4mm) central hole diameter that is adapted to the Tormek shaft (12mm) via two pre-installed felt bushings (See Image 2)
5. The felt bushings fit very nice and snug on the Tormek shaft, so snug that I had to spin the wheel over the threads rather than just push it on the shaft (same upon removal) - I found this quite annoying when placing and removing the wheel, so I replaced the felt bushings with an aluminum bushing (OD= 25.4mm ID= 12.1mm) (Image 2)
6. The excess width of the wheel (52.5mm) meant that it actually could not fit on the Tormek with the standard spacer as there were no exposed threads to install the knurled nut (Image 3)
7.  I therefore replaced the standard spacer with a 12M stainless steel fender washer to gain enough space back to get some exposed threads (Image 4 and Image 5)
8. The wheel has a slight wobble, but nothing that affects the results of deburring.

Beaker.

Where did you get the aluminum bushing?  Also, could you have reduced the bushing length and some of the felt, enough to fit the stock spacer?

darita

So, is Durofelt now the best source for the felt wheels or does Schleif Junkies have them in the 2" width?

darita

Don't know if anyone has posted this.  I just had a conversation with Asha from DuroFelt.  He didn't anticipate the need for these wheels and could only fill a couple of orders.  He placed a new order with his supplier, however he won't receive them until June, at the earliest at this point.  He already has a couple of back orders, so if you want a wheel, get your order in now and be patient.  Hope this helps.

darita

Yes, that's it, Durofelt.  Is .80 the same as the KG density?

Drilon

On YouTube https://youtu.be/5iqnvD8_M2k starting 8:44 min. Vadim explains which felt hardness to choose. 0,6 g/cm3 to 0,8 g/cm3 is fine.

Regards
Drilon

dankeelz

Dave Cummins, I have purchased from http://www.puruipolishing.com/  . Still waiting for product to arrive here to NORFOLK ISLAND though , been about a month now. I dealt with an Alan Chang who was very helpful. I got sick of waiting so have now ordered some from Durofelt. It will be very interesting to compare the two. Both priced about the same.
Hope this helps a little bit.
Regards
Dan