News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

T-4 vs T-8 - New Member

Started by guitar_ed, February 14, 2022, 05:46:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guitar_ed

Hi All,

If this redundant, please delete & point me to the existing conversation.  I looked thru the first 5 pages and did not find this topic.

I am trying to choose between the T-8 Original and the T-4 Original.  I will be sharpening knives and chisels.  After the necessary jigs, the T-8 is $155 more expensive for what appears to the almost identical item, the only difference being the size of the wheels.

My question is: What am I missing?  What is(are) the advantage(s) to(of) the T-8?  What don't I know?

Thanks,

edg

BradGE

Worth checking out the Knife Grinders YouTube video comparing T4 and T8...

guitar_ed

guitar_ed

I assume that this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjgH-vqLXO0  is the video you are referring to.  I like the part where the guy is pouring what I believe to be beer over wheel.

John_B

As you see the price difference once you add truing tool is not a huge consideration. One consideration is moving the machine around. If you are going to buy it and for the most part use it in one place get the T-8. The T-4 is considerably lighter if it is used mobily (like a farmers market). Both machines do a great job. Another consideration until recently was that diamond wheels were not available for the T-4. They are now available.

When I was deciding I considered the price differential, knew it was for a fixed location and opted for the T-8. I have yet to wish I had bought the T-4.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, Ed. You will receive many different opinions for your question. For what it's worth, here is mine:

I suggest that you ignore any price differences between the T4 and T8. A Tormek is a long term investment. Frankly, a hundred dollars plus or minus shouldn't make any difference over the long run. I believe more important considerations are what tools you intend to sharpen, how many. and if yourTormek will be stationary or moved around. Knives and chisels are certainly within the scope of either model. If your Tormek will be permanently located in a large shop, you might prefer the T8. If you will have to move your Tormek around, you will appreciate the lighter weight of the T4.

There are more differences between the T4 and the T8 than just the size of the grinding wheels. The T8 has a larger motor. Please do not believe the debunked myth of the "thirty minute duty cycle". The T4 motor has plenty of power for what you need; the T8 motor is just more powerful.

I suggest you watch the online classes on Tormek's you tube channel. Knowledge is power. Keep asking questions.

Ken

RickKrung

I can appreciate the thoughts and comments about ease of moving a T4 around, say for doing mobile sharpening and/or farmers markets, but I just have to say that I have a T8 and never had any issue moving it to farmers markets or, as I frequently do, pack up my whole kit and travel to friend's houses to sharpen their stuff. 

Full disclosure, I have never set eye in person on a T4, let alone pick one up, so maybe I'm full of it, but... 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Beaker

In the event that the KGA video doesn't make it clear, you will need the TT-50 truing tool.  Tormek has excluded the TT-50 from the T-4 to get a lower price for the T-4 package (to optimize sales), but the reality is you will need the truing tool as a flat stone is fundamental to proper sharpening on any Tormek.  This reduces the price differential by the time you add in the TT-50.

See Sebastian and Wolfgang discussion on the Tormek Live Grand Machine Comparison:

https://youtu.be/tXO6YejYdck?t=1671

Beaker.

Arthur

I have T4 and T7 (now it is T8). I need both. I do not understand how I managed to get by with one TORMEK ;) And yet, if I had to choose only one of them now, it would be T8. First of all, I like the size and long life of the T8 grinding wheels.
The T4 is currently being used as a honing station. The T4 fits perfectly with the leather and composite wheels from the T8.

John_B

Quote from: Arthur on February 15, 2022, 07:36:01 AM
I have T4 and T7 (now it is T8). I need both. I do not understand how I managed to get by with one TORMEK ;) And yet, if I had to choose only one of them now, it would be T8. First of all, I like the size and long life of the T8 grinding wheels.
The T4 is currently being used as a honing station. The T4 fits perfectly with the leather and composite wheels from the T8.

I would like to have the T-4  set up as a honing station like you have it. Honing is where you can really enhance the sharpness of a knife. I would like to get the composite wheel and be able to have my 2nd leather wheel all mounted at the same time. For now it is not that bad to switch wheels.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

JustADudeInSweden

I got the T4, then buying all the stuff seperate I regret not just buying the bigger one!

but the T4 is still overkill for my small collection of knives so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Getting Jiggy With It

Arthur

Quote from: JustADudeInSweden on February 16, 2022, 08:47:02 PM
I got the T4, then buying all the stuff seperate I regret not just buying the bigger one!

but the T4 is still overkill for my small collection of knives so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
No need to regret. t4 works great. For a long time I had only t4 and I am absolutely satisfied with it.
Only after increasing the number of sharpenings did I purchase a used t7.
T4 is capable of a lot. :)

JustADudeInSweden

I didn't mean that kind of regret, I love my T4!
I meant after buying all the jiggs and truer the price diff was/is not all that much so maybe I should have gone in for the big brother.. :P
Getting Jiggy With It

Millerti87

I was in the same boat as you a few months ago. Ultimately, due to my space constraints, I went with the T4. I wanted the ability where I could stash it away when not in use, and be able to travel with it if needed. I've already been able to take it to my brothers house and do all of his knives when I visited him for the weekend, which it somewhat convenient to carry (I could find a better solution). I wish I had a dedicated workstation where I could keep it out 24/7, as pulling it out to touch up a knife can be somewhat of a pain. My work schedule is quite hectic, and I'm constantly in a state of exhaustion, so it often becomes a tomorrow job unless I can plan on sharpening a few knives (Then it becomes fun). My newest primary chef knife could use a good hone, but to take out the T4, set it up, and put it back could easily turn into an hour or two with all of the side projects I find. I'd want to see what else I could hone, and get those done. Then I'd probably notice the wheel is slightly out of round, so I'd consider truing it. I'd end up getting tired and then telling myself I'd put it away in the morning. You see where this is going.

My only major gripe, or frustration, would be the size of the honing wheel. When using a FVB to hone, a small knife (Under 3-4"), seems to not work on the distal edge so much. The curvature of the wheel is fairly great, so when you get to the tip of the knife, between the curve of the knife and the roundness of the wheel, the degree to which you hone rises significantly I believe. I'll attempt to get some pictures tonight to show further what I mean. It's not a deal breaker, but it is a consideration to anyone who plans to use a FVB.

Thankfully we are considering the purchase of a larger home in the near future. Our new home will definitely have a workshop area for me to have my tools and such so I'll be able to have my tormek at a dedicated workstation and always available. At that time, I may consider looking at a T8 at that time. It'd be unnecessary, but I do a lot of unnecessary things! If I ever can get a small sharpening gig on the side set up, it'd be good to have a second machine available. And by sharpening gig, I'm talking small time, like doing it for fun when I have time.

Ken S

Timothy,

I carry my T4 in a single ball bowling bag. It cost $32 US several years ago. I dismount the grinding wheel, place it in the original box after wrapping it in plastic, and place the box flat in the bottom of the bowling bag. The T4 sits on it. (Don't forget the spacer.) There is plenty of room for your jigs and accessories, including an extension cord and a sheet of plastic to catch any spillage. (Your sister-in-law will appreciate this.)
This rig is easy to carry, even for an old guy like me.

If you still have T8 fever down the road, do not be quick to sell your T4. It remains a very useful tool, especially for mobile work. It can handle all of the Tormek jigs. It can also work with a 250mm felt wheel, if you are so inclined.

For those who secretly lust after large V8 engines in their vehicles to commute to work, nothing but the T8 will bring full satisfaction. For most of us, the T4 is a very able machine. With Tormek, there are no bad choices.

Ken