News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

is now 2022 a solution for TT-50 Truing Tool?

Started by Pietje, February 11, 2022, 01:49:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pietje

Hello!
I use a Waterstone 250. I tried to truing the stone. It doesn´t work corretly.
I drive very slow from the outer side to the inner side. to check the line, I use a straightedge.
It´s aweful. It is a curve from innerside to the auter side. But it has to be flat.
How can I get a flat stone?

Pietje

John_B

I assume you are asking about the Japanese waterstone 250. When you are truing the stone doe the diamond not touch when you are in the center of the wheel? If this is the case the only thing you can do is to continue truing until the diamond cuts all the way across. To prevent this I would true the stone more often.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

Ken S

Pietje,

When you use the TT-50 truing tool, make sure you are not pushing down on the support bar with your wrists.

You should set your depth of cut to only a small fraction of a number on the microadjust, and start out with this very shallow cut only touching the highest part of your grinding wheel. You will need several of these shallow passes until you are grinding the entire wheel.

Be patient. Yes, this is slow; however, as you gain experience it will go more quickly for you. I agree with John; the best way to true your grinding wheel is often anf lightly. Practice makes perfect.

Ken

Beaker

Tormek Live Part 7 was titled "Planer blade sharpening & TT-50 Truing Tool".  There was a specific video segment on truing the Japanese Waterstone (SJ-250).  See the following link.  Among other things, they demonstrated how you should always true from outside to inside on the SJ-250 to avoid chipping of the relatively fragile edge.

https://youtu.be/_9izVW7g6uo?t=585

Beaker.

Pietje

Thanks for your answeres.
But it hit not my problem.
I knew the video7.
I am only using the truing tool with the left hand so the weight of my arm is on the T-8 and not on the toolbar.
I only turn the threaded nut 1/20 of a round, count to 15 and turn then the next 11/20.
I only work with the truing tool from the outer to the inner side.
For the depth I only turn the toolbarthreaded nut 174 of the differenz between two numbers on it.
After truing I check the disc with a straightedge (lineal). Right and left side of the disc girth is down and the middle is up.

So I started truing again and tested out the startingpoint in the middle at the highest point of the girth.
But the result is the same.

for the moment I use the SE-77 and a diamantplate for truing.

Pietje

I checked the SG-250 and it is correct flat.

cbwx34

Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Beaker

It seems to me almost impossible to properly use the truing tool and end up with a stone not parallel to the USB.  Please take some pictures of the stone and post them? Even better, take a video of your truing procedure with the SJ-250, post to Youtube and add the link to this chat.  If anything is wrong, someone here will spot it I'm sure.

How much would you say the stone deviates from true from one side to the other? 1/2mm? More?

Beaker.