News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Preparing New Chisels

Started by MartinC, February 08, 2022, 01:39:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MartinC

I have a new set of chisels that I am preparing and I have a question on flattening the back.

I have flattened and polished each chisel using a set of Shampton stones (320, 1000, 5000, 8000). Attached is a picture of the final results. I'm wondering if they are good enough or if I should continue until they are prefect.

Thanks

Martin

Ken S

Martin,

8000 grit is as high as first-rate companies like Lie-Nielsen go. That should be more than adequate.

What concerns me is your photograph. It looks like the protective lacquer on your chisels was not removed prior to flattening with your bench stones.

Leonard Lee discusses removing the lacquer in his Sharpening book. Your local library should have a copy. Actually, I have been recommending it for every serious sharpener's library for many years. It should be in your personal library.

Ken

MartinC

I didn't know I needed to remove it first. I will clean the rest of the chisel.

I just purchased the book.

Thanks

Ken S

Well done, Martin! That's how we all learn.

Ken

PS I really admire the late Leonard Lee. I also recommend his sharpening DVD, available from Lee Valley.
I love his dry humor.

RichColvin

Lee's book is great and a must-have for a sharpener's library.
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

MartinC

I purchased the book and have made it through a few chapters. There is a lot of good info.

Thanks!