News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Stone Storage Rack

Started by Beaker, February 06, 2022, 04:11:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beaker

On a few occasions I have inadvertently knocked over one of my Tormek stones during a sharpening session.  I just completed a small stone storage rack build that should avoid this problem in the future.  Very simple build and all made from scrap 2x4's and 2x2's.  Dimensions are shown in the attached picture.  Just thought I would share in the even someone else would like to build something similar.

Ken S

Sturdy and simple; good idea.

Ken

RichColvin

Shane,

I really like this, however, I believe the struts should be shorter than 8". 

The minimum diameter for a stone which can be used on the T-2000, T-7, & T-8 is 180mm, which is just longer than 7".  To keep it balanced on the front and bottom rails, maybe make the struts 6 ½".  That should provide adequate balance for the larger stones also.

Kind regards,
Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Beaker

Rich,

A very good point.  As designed, my stones will start to "bottom out" once the hit about 8 1/4" (210mm) diameter.  Good thing the entire construction is with wood screws and easily disassembled.  I think when my stones start approaching that diameter I will, in fact trim down the struts and dividers to about 6 ½" as you suggest. Thanks for the keen observation.

Beaker.

tgbto

Nice work!

Aren't you worried, though, that the wood will soak up from the stones releasing moisture, then become mouldy ?

Beaker

I'm not particularly worried about any mold for the following reasons:

1) I have been storing my stones lying flat (think - stack of pancakes) on top of some scrap 2x4's with some wood spacers between them for the past several months and have never had any mold issues (note that they are stored inside the house in a heated basement)

2) The area of contact between the 2x4's on my new storage rack is very small.  It is maybe one cm2 of contact area where the water could theoretically "wick" from the stone to the wood. Counteracting that moisture transfer is the large surrounding surface area of the wood, which is constantly drying out, trying to reach equilibrium with the (low) room humidity.

3) If I notice it to be a problem, I will add these foam corner protectors where the stones rest on the 2x4's (see picture).  These are medium density foam protectors that come in a roll and are sold to keep toddlers from bumping their heads on sharp table corners etc. (nerf the world!).

Beaker.

TireguyfromMA

Just got my T8 the other day, setting up the tool box and work stand in my well heated basement the past couple of days and was looking for something exactly like this to hold the expensive wheels, one of them is the Japanese wetstone, so I don't have to ever worry about them falling.  Great stand, my next project!

Pietje

Quote from: Beaker on February 07, 2022, 11:44:20 PM
I'm not particularly worried about any mold for the following reasons:

2) The area of contact between the 2x4's on my new storage rack is very small.  It is maybe one cm2 of contact area where the water could theoretically "wick" from the stone to the wood. Counteracting that moisture transfer is the large surrounding surface area of the wood, which is constantly drying out, trying to reach equilibrium with the (low) room humidity.

In my opinion that will bring the problem that the SJ get 2 gutters from contact.
Take a file or a micutter to put a slant in the contact area. With water the JS is so heavy and so limp.

Good luck
Pietje

Beaker

Our dimensional lumber in North America (2x4's) already have a bit of a natural radius on the edges, so they are not very sharp where they contact the stone.  The SJ-250 is somewhat brittle, but also plenty hard.  I have not had any issues with it chipping or breaking as it is placed (somewhat carefully) in the storage rack.