News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Long knives

Started by tgbto, February 01, 2022, 04:26:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tgbto

Hello !

For the first time, I've sharpened a salmon slicing knife. It was a cheap one and I wasn't expecting wonderful results, but there's one thing that bugged me...

It is a very long knife, with a blade around 36cm long. I had installed both the Tormek drip tray extender on the water trough, but also a 3D-printed drip catcher on the horizontal support bar mount. I had mounted no leather wheel on the honing side.

The problem was the following: as I was sharpening with the handle on the right side, water would drip directly onto the ruber wheel, and make it slippery to the point that the bare weight of the blade on the SG would stop it. Have any of you thought of a solution for this ? Fitting a honing wheel would for sure catch the water before it dripped on the rubber wheel, but I'm not too sure about mixing water with the honing compound and steel particles on the leather...

Thanks,

Nick.

BeSharp

I use the CW-220 composite honing wheel to keep water off the drive wheel.

tgbto

But of course ! Thank you BeSharp.

cbwx34

Quote from: tgbto on February 01, 2022, 04:26:59 PM
Hello !

For the first time, I've sharpened a salmon slicing knife. It was a cheap one and I wasn't expecting wonderful results, but there's one thing that bugged me...

It is a very long knife, with a blade around 36cm long. I had installed both the Tormek drip tray extender on the water trough, but also a 3D-printed drip catcher on the horizontal support bar mount. I had mounted no leather wheel on the honing side.

The problem was the following: as I was sharpening with the handle on the right side, water would drip directly onto the ruber wheel, and make it slippery to the point that the bare weight of the blade on the SG would stop it. Have any of you thought of a solution for this ? Fitting a honing wheel would for sure catch the water before it dripped on the rubber wheel, but I'm not too sure about mixing water with the honing compound and steel particles on the leather...

Thanks,

Nick.

Put something under the feet on the leather wheel side of the Tormek... this will angle the machine slightly, and the water will stay on the grinding wheel side of the machine.  (You could actually get feet for the older Tormeks that would do this).  Also, don't move the knife too quickly... this allows the water to drip down near the grinding wheel.

Edit:  Found the description of the little "feet"...

Quote from: https://advanced-machinery.myshopify.com/collections/tormek-upgrade-parts-for-older-machines/products/advanced-water-trough-for-t-7-and-s2000-upgradeTilt Shoes Control the Water Flow
Two Tilt Shoes are supplied with the AWT-250. You can use them to raise the honing wheel side of the machine so the water follows the tool towards the outside of the stone and runs back into the water trough. You minimize the water dripping onto the housing. This is an advantage especially when sharpening wide tools. When not required they can be stored magnetically under the machine.

Also just saw it mentioned in the Tips and Tricks video

:)
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

highpower

I just got my Tormek recently so I haven't had to deal with this - as of yet. But this thread did give me an idea. Now I'm thinking about picking up a large PVC pipe cap (for plumbing) and drilling a hole in the end of it and sticking the extension shaft from my LA-120 into it.

Ken S