News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

A small useful 3D printed tool

Started by Perra, January 26, 2022, 09:08:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Perra

I myself sometimes have a need to print out simple tables for angles and distances etc. to be able to work a little faster and without a computer.
So I have created my own excel sheet for this purpose. Inspired by Ton Nillesen.
For those who like paper tables to have by the side when you grind like me I have added a function to my Angle calculator that gives the possibility to customize and print a table for distance between Top of Usb and grinding wheel adapted to different angles and jig lengths.
You can found it under the worksheet USB-->Wheel in "Angle Calculator Lite V1,3"
Hope someone like it.
Angle Calculator Lite V1,3 is attached below

Dutchman

Quote from: Perra on October 20, 2022, 07:42:43 PM
For those who like paper tables to have by the side when you grind ...
With the new Self-centering Knife Jig KJ-45, the projection distance can no longer be adjusted, due to the removal of the adjustable stop. My tables, however, were based on coarse adjustment with the usb and fine adjustment with the adjustable stop. These are therefore no longer usable with the KJ-45.

So thank you very much Perra for this spreadsheet. If I buy the KJ-45, I will gratefully use your workpiece. Also compliments for the beautiful design.

I imported the spreadsheet with the open source office package LibreOffice. It worked without problems and I saved it as .ODS file.

Perra

Thank you very much Dutchman for your review. It was much appreciated

Ken S

Perra,

I like your table. You have certainly based it on an excellent source. Ton Nillesen's (Dutchman) tables have served as the inspiration for all of the forum based setting programs and mechanical setting devices. My own kenjig relies heavily on Ton's grinding angle tables for its accuracy and repeatability.

Based on my rather simple needs, I would suggest using your table as an intermediate step, a reference. (Others may have more demanding requirements.)

When I designed the kenjig, I made two jigs, one for 15° per side and one for 20°. Sharpening kitchen knives, I have only used the 15° jig. Except for a master reference table, I would suggest a stripped down final table with perhaps four angles (10°, 12°, 15° and 20° for example). I would be tempted to make up individual one angle cards.

With the Projection, using the SVM jig, I have standardized mostly on 139mm with paring knives at 125mm. I would start projection at 125mm and consider a high limit of 145mm. I would keep your present high Projections on the reference table for use when sharpening cleavers.

With either the SVM or new KJ jigs, there is a range of Projection in the jig clamps. While the KJ is not adjustable, the knife can be inserted up to 15mm. Subtracting the minimum 2 mm holding distance, that still allows 13mm of adjustment in the clamp. For a "margin of safety". let's figure 10mm. If our stripped down chart lists Projection in 4mm increments, we are still covered. I do not believe the reduced adjustability of the KJ jigs will prove to be as major a constraint as some believe.

Kudos for your table. It is a useful idea.

Ken

Sir Amwell

Hi Perra. I'm going to get a 3D print of your jig. Thanks for sharing!
Was wondering about the hole for the ' locking nut'. Will the 3D print print the hole? If it does will it be threaded? If so what is the thread for it? Obviously if not then it should be easy to drill and thread one's own?

Perra

Hello Sir Amwell
Yes, The hole is printed in the 3d model, dia 6.8 mm, and I have then threaded by hand with M8 *1.25 mm tap. But you can choose the thread that suits you if you can change the file a little or choose a larger thread diameter and drill the hole a little bigger.

Perra

The "Angle Calculator Lite V1.4" is now updated with two more measurement jigs and some small adjustments.
The file is attached down below.