News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Jap stone, Strop wheel

Started by JustADudeInSweden, January 27, 2022, 03:15:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JustADudeInSweden

Quick Q:
For those of you who own the Japan stone (4k grit), do you use the stropping wheel at all?

Youtube videos show a better mirror finish using the Jap stone compared to the honing wheel..
Getting Jiggy With It

cbwx34

Quote from: JustADudeInSweden on January 27, 2022, 03:15:18 PM
Quick Q:
For those of you who own the Japan stone (4k grit), do you use the stropping wheel at all?

Youtube videos show a better mirror finish using the Jap stone compared to the honing wheel..

Currently being talked about here... 

https://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=4877.0

Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

JustADudeInSweden

Ah thanks! Seems like I am on the right track anyway - learning this stuff is fun :)
Getting Jiggy With It

Ken S

Swedish dude,

If you are still following these posts, I would seriously recommend that you scratch off the SJ-200 Japanese wheel from your "must have soon" list. I know it is a strong temptation; however, having an SJ too early can retard your mastery of the SG and leather honing wheel.
Be patient and learn the craft.
Good luck,
Ken

JustADudeInSweden

Quote from: Ken S on January 27, 2022, 08:38:21 PM
Swedish dude,

If you are still following these posts, I would seriously recommend that you scratch off the SJ-200 Japanese wheel from your "must have soon" list. I know it is a strong temptation; however, having an SJ too early can retard your mastery of the SG and leather honing wheel.
Be patient and learn the craft.
Good luck,
Ken

Damn dude!

First you tell me my looks wont last forever (in another post  :P ) and now you're taking out the #1 item in my mental wishlist... nearly all the youtube videos have gushing reviews and results :o
Getting Jiggy With It

Ken S

I am not saying never get it, only that I believe you will be a better sharpener if you really masterthe SG and leather honing wheel first.

Ken

JustADudeInSweden

Was kidding, I know it's good advice  ;) Thanks!
Getting Jiggy With It

nevertakeadayoff

The SJ is always on my Tormek. I maintain my blades with a mirror edge.

The leather honing wheel is completely useless to me. I don't understand Ken's logic in reply #3.

Always trailing edge when using the SJ!

I've owned the T4 for 2 months. Very very happy, very sharp knives, very easy, very quick.