News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

New To Me Used T-7 Education

Started by Rick_MD, April 15, 2022, 10:14:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick_MD

Hi All,

First time Tormek owner & first post here.

I thought I got a good deal on a used T-7 from eBay. I've discovered I didn't know enough about the unit to make a good decision yet.  Life has a way of giving you the education first & by then you've gotten the lesson committed to memory.

Just found out that the shaft is probably bent & that the SG-250 is worn all the way down. With the few accessories I have purchased it would have been wiser & cheaper to buy a new T-8 once I replace the wheel & shaft kit (some signs of rust on it too & the grinding wheel was stuck to it).

I have read that there might be a market out there for T-4 users for my old grinding wheel now that it is an 8" wheel. I haven't even been able to use it yet, sigh.

Thanks for any insight you might be able to provide,
Rick

Ken S

Rick,

All is not lost. Here are links to the replacement shaft and the SG-250:

https://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/Tormek-Stainless-Steel-Main-Shaft-for-T7T8-P341.aspx

https://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/Tormek-10-Grindstone-for-T7T8-P347.aspx

My first suggestion would be to contact Tormek. If you live in the US, contact Tormek Inc in Illinois. Full contact information is on tormek.com. You can also reach them at (info@tormek.se) If you do not live in the US, support in Sweden also gives excellent service. (support@tormek.se) Either can help you register your T7 so that you can access and download the latest edition of the online handbook. I downloaded it onto my ipad and refer to it often.

I would be surprised if the shaft is actually bent. I think it is much more likely that the grinding wheel, worn down to eight inches, is also worn out of true. If your T7 came with the TT-50, I would try truing your wheel. Tormek can help walk you through the initial truing process if you need help. If you are lucky, once you true your wheel, your shaft will "magically" be true, also. It is worth a try......

At eight inches, your wheel still has some useful life. Personally, I would be looking for a replacement in the near future. If you decide to sell it to a T4 user, I would true it first. a price around the price of a new SG-200 sounds fair, assuming it is clean and in has no chipping. It is a used wheel; however, it is also 10mm wider than the SG200.

Good luck, and please keep us posted.

Ken

Rick_MD

Thanks Ken,

The reasoning for my thinking the shaft is bent is that the stone has a side to side wobble that is not acceptable & the truing tool won't correct the latter.  When I first started checking out the machine I discovered a worse side to side wobble on the drive side.  Upon closer inspection, I found that the driven wheel was cracked from improper installation. Ordered and replaced. Now that side is perfect.  Also as a side note, the bushings for the shaft have no wear or play whatsoever.

No matter how I place the stone, the up and down & side to side problem doesn't change. I have ordered & received the newer truing tool but haven't used it yet.  From what I have read on this forum, my understanding (please correct me if I'm wrong) is that 200mm or less is the end of the life of the stone & 8 inches is just about there.  If this is good for my learning curve, that is fantastic.

I have ordered & received a new SG-250 stone and a stainless shaft kit which can remain in reserve until I get more experience under my belt.  My budget for this venture has run way over what I expected & a lot of this message is for any new people to learn earlier than me that research is a great idea.  Had I done a bit more, I would have just bought a new T-8.  I would have had more $ left to purchase other jigs or accessories instead of base components to make the T-7 useable.

Rick

Ken S

Rick,

You may need both the new shaft and grinding wheel. However, before you proceed, I would contact Tormek.

You have spent more than you planned, perhaps more than the cost of a new T8. My T7 is still going strong after twelve years. I also have a T8, also going strong. Both are fine, long lasting machines. Your T7, especially with a new grinding wheel and EZYlock shaft, will give you many years of faithful service.

Ken