News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Stranger Things

Started by tgbto, January 17, 2022, 02:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tgbto

Hey,

There's something I'd like your feedback on : as mentioned on several other posts, I find that honing with the PA-77 on the leather wheel is what gives me the best results. I decided to make sure about that this morning, as I needed to sharpen two almost identically shaped gyutos (a global and a suisin).

Both were sharpened back to back, @15dps with a projection distance of 134mm. I had just retrued the SG-250, then after I raised the burr on both knives, I graded the stone fine, then honed on the leather wheel with PA-77 @17dps, 6x2 passes each. They came out at 125 and 135 BESS. I then honed them further on the rock hard felt with 1µm diamonds @15.5 dps, and they came out very shiny... and at 285 and 260 BESS.

So I gave them 3x2 more passes each on the leather wheel and PA-77 and they ended up @105 and110 BESS, which is my usual score for these knives. Any idea what happens here ?