News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Old machines, new videos

Started by tgbto, January 17, 2022, 10:25:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tgbto

Hey all, I just received an email announcing that Tormek's new live stream will be about updating older Tormek models...

Stay tuned!

Ken S

An excellent topic; thanks for posting a heads up.

This particular class is the version in French. (The classes all have four versions: Swedish, English, French, and German.) I plan to watch the French version once to learn the basic class layout, and then study the English.

Ken

Ken S

I tried watching the French version. Knowing no French was frustrating. I will definitely watch the English version on  the 25th.
On a more positive note, the French version makes me more aware of what our non English speaking members endure.

Ken

tgbto

Sebastien's french is amazingly good, and his ideas came across very well.To make a long story short, he recommends:

- to not bother with a really old machine where you can't put a honing disc, basically to start upgrading from the SA-250 onwards
- to upgrade when you can with the stainless steel shaft. He mentions rust causing the stone to crack.
- to think twice before changing the motor (300€) on an old machine when the new machine is not much more expensive
- to send the serial number when the capacitor fails because there can be different motors in the same housing, hence different capacitors
- to replace a natural stone with a synthetic one
- to replace the plain USs with the threaded ones
- to be wary of updating a T3 because of the plastic housing, the overall precision of the setup being dubious

He insists they deliberately chose to make new stones compatibles with the old machines so people would enjoy their Tormek for a long time.

He also mentions some new covers being designed for the T8, and maybe some Tormek apparel being in the works.

Cheers,

Nick.