News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Leather honing wheel

Started by JustADudeInSweden, January 27, 2022, 03:23:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JustADudeInSweden

Quote from: Nico on February 08, 2022, 09:37:25 AM
I also read in the handbook (p.44) that occasionally, it is recommended to re-oil the honing wheel, in addition to recharging the honing compound. The handbook said one application of compound lasts for honing 5-10 tools. After that, it recommends you re-impregnate the honing wheel with a few drops of oil and apply fresh compound.

Interesting, because sounds like most here never reoil but just apply fresh compbound...
Getting Jiggy With It

Ken S

For a short period of time several years ago, it was fashionable not to oil new leather honing wheels. The smart people stated this was unnecessary, as PA-70 already contains oil. You could tell who these people were by the black flakes being thrown off of their leather wheels. Initial oiling solved this problem.

I think providing the small tube of approved oil with new machines is an exceptional idea. First, it provides an oil optimized for the Tormek. Second, the amount in the tube is enough for the leather wheel wnd the two leather disks.
Just use the amount in the tube. You have enough and you don't have too much. What could be simpler?

Like many longer term users, I have never reoiled my leather wheels, and do not intend to do so. My wheels turned black quickly from the steel. This is perfectly normal.

Experiment with the amount of honing paste you use. If you do not use enough, you will have to hone longer. Too much will leave you with a little mess to clean up with a paper towel. Neither will hurt your hearty Tormek.

Ken

John_B

Another key component in this discussion is how big a burr you are trying to hone away. I tend to stop sharpening when I can see that I have sharpened the blade over its entire length. I do this by inspecting the edge with a hand loupe. You can continue to sharpen to make a bigger burr but it really serves no purpose. After sharpening lightly with the stone graded fine I have very little burr to remove.

I liked the idea presented to use the composite wheel followed by the leather wheel for honing. I also have a second leather wheel that I use for my own knives and any customer that wants their knives sharper (none have). I use 1ยต diamond on this one.

Honing and stropping are where you really need to concentrate your efforts to achieve a very sharp edge once you have mastered the sharpening stage.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

BeSharp

I learned a lot from the Tormek honing video that was uploaded today. Tip: fast forward past the first 7 minutes - nothing happened due to technical problems (one wireless mic was not working). Highly recommended, and well done Tormek!