News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

I invented a work-around for chisel rehab.

Started by gwagner, December 22, 2021, 04:03:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gwagner

Using the coarse diamond stone the first chisel I had to rehab took me 1.5 hours. While there was some zen-like enjoyment to the first one, facing more of them was daunting.

Then I remembered the Tormek video describing how the diamond stones never change shape and don't really wear out -- their grit simply gets finer and finer over time. And I invented a solution that lets the Tormek do its thing for a couple hours, without me having to stand there helping it.

It worked great. However, there are experts in this forum who know things I don't, so I'm sharing this video and asking everyone whether there's a reason I shouldn't be doing this -- something I'm doing that will damage the machine or stone.

Note: The actual pressure is still very light. This chisel had less material to remove than my first one and took about 45 minutes longer. And I stayed near the machine the entire time, checking it and the water level consistently, and moving the chisel back and forth. I also adjusted the stops so the blade shifted all the way to the edges of the stone instead of falling slightly short.

https://www.facebook.com/100042629257420/videos/3070887879893648/

Open to all feedback (no ... really). ;-)

RichColvin

---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Ken S

Gill,

I am puzzled. There is nothing wrong with inventing work arounds; however, it looks like you didn't fix the problem. Sharpening a standard woodworking chisel, even one needing a lot of work, should require minutes, not hours.

I would not bother trying to restore chisels in this poor condition unless they have a lot of sentimental value, like having been treasured tools used by your grandfather. If they are just old tools you acquired at a yard sale, they are not worth the effort. Your time and money would be better spent buying a premium chisel, like a Veritas PMV or a Lie-Nielsen in half inch. Start with half inch; add a few more sizes only when necessary.

I will stop there for now. Keep us posted.

Ken

Ukfraser

Quote from: Ken S on December 23, 2021, 01:41:47 AM
Sharpening a standard woodworking chisel, even one needing a lot of work, should require minutes, not hours.

This has been my experience, even with the tools i inherited after my father in law died.  His needed a bit of reshaping and i used the experience as practice to gain experience with the t4 before i tackled my box handled marple chisels and planes i had acquired over the years.

But this thread reminded me of a comment made in an early tormek video about a customer in switzerland and a broom handle.