News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Diamond Wheel problem

Started by georgegolesic, December 19, 2021, 09:37:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

georgegolesic

Hello Everyone
A few years ago with the help of this forum I purchased a Diamond wheel 1200 for my Tormek 2000. I primarily use for sharpening turning tools.  It has been fantastic. I use the anticorosion solution and always clean the wheel afterward.  I have just noticed surface breakdown on the diamond wheel.  I am a hobby wood turner and have not overused the wheel.  I am quite surprised with the area of breakthrough.  I thought this wheel would have lasted a long time.
Anyone else have any experience with this type of problem and any suggestions. Have enclosed a picture.

cbwx34

Quote from: georgegolesic on December 19, 2021, 09:37:32 PM
Hello Everyone
A few years ago with the help of this forum I purchased a Diamond wheel 1200 for my Tormek 2000. I primarily use for sharpening turning tools.  It has been fantastic. I use the anticorosion solution and always clean the wheel afterward.  I have just noticed surface breakdown on the diamond wheel.  I am a hobby wood turner and have not overused the wheel.  I am quite surprised with the area of breakthrough.  I thought this wheel would have lasted a long time.
Anyone else have any experience with this type of problem and any suggestions. Have enclosed a picture.

This is one of those questions where you'll probably need to contact tormek support and see what they say...

support@tormek.se
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, George.

In the spirit of finding out more information, not being critical, I have three questions for you:

The 1200 (DE-250) Is the finest grit diamond wheel. Are you using a coarser grit wheel first for "the heavy lifting"?

Are you using light grinding pressure?

With gouges, are you trying to use the whole wheel or just concentrating on the center?

I agree with CB about consulting support.

Keep us posted.

Ken

georgegolesic

Hello Ken
I have the 1200 gritdiamond wheel on theTormek. I profiled all the gouges on a grinder first. Once I have the angles I have several jigs for the Diamond wheel and they never need changing.  Its just a matter of polishing the cutting edge on the Diamond wheel. I use light to moderate pressure and try to use the whole wheel.  I had taken a course with Glen Lucas and was introduced to the diamond wheels by him. I use his settings and gouges for turning and the results are extremely reproducible. I have been very happy with this set up and have used my Tormek regularly because of it.  I still use an inch grinder with CBN wheels for shaping gouges and steel removal. I use the Tormek for fine honing.
Hope this helps.