News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Schleifen von Klauenmessern

Started by pg, November 22, 2021, 06:36:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Schleifen von Klauenmessern?

Freihändig
1 (100%)
mit Führung
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 1

pg

Hat jemand Erfahrung mit dem Schleifen von Klauenmessern auf der T8? Mit oder ohne Führung?

cbwx34

Quote from: pg on November 22, 2021, 06:36:32 PM
Hat jemand Erfahrung mit dem Schleifen von Klauenmessern auf der T8? Mit oder ohne Führung?

Try this thread...

https://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=3093.0
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

tgbto

It seems to me that it is akin to trying and play the violin with boxing gloves. Can it be done ? Sure. It's going to be tough as it is not the intended purpose of boxing gloves.

If you're a very skilled violin player the end result might be acceptable, but you'll do better with an instrument that is intended for this purpose. Ceramic rods, small flexible grinding belts, narrow stones on WE/EP/HS/... jigs... all are intrisically more suited to the task than such a large wheel, stock jigs, honing wheels, etc.

cbwx34

Quote from: tgbto on November 23, 2021, 03:57:10 PM
It seems to me that it is akin to trying and play the violin with boxing gloves. Can it be done ? Sure. It's going to be tough as it is not the intended purpose of boxing gloves.

If you're a very skilled violin player the end result might be acceptable, but you'll do better with an instrument that is intended for this purpose. Ceramic rods, small flexible grinding belts, narrow stones on WE/EP/HS/... jigs... all are intrisically more suited to the task than such a large wheel, stock jigs, honing wheels, etc.

I can't agree with this... while sharpening this type of knife may take more skill, it's certainly doable, and the Tormek is up to the task.  An example is here...

https://youtu.be/7eCDSZ2PHU0?t=2765

...probably the biggest thing to learn is to round the edge of a stone a bit, and learn how to sharpen there, and hone on the edge of the wheel.

Most of the other methods you mentioned require the same "learning beyond the basics" and/or modification to make them work.  And some, ceramic rods for example, do little more than maintain sharpness.  The Tormek can be quicker and more accurate in some cases.

No reason not to do them on a Tormek... just may take a bit more time/skill to learn how, but it's not beyond its "intended purpose".

tgbto

I confess I may have been a tad extreme to make my point.

Still, it seems to me that using a tormek to end up freehand sharpening on the rounded corner of the stone is precisely some kind of a violin / boxing gloves situation : you no longer use the controlled angle which makes the beauty (and most of the sales pitch) of the Tormek, you round up the edges of the stone a lot and yet you will still be applying pressure on just a tiny area of the edge which is a recipe for disaster. Again, I'm not saying it can't be done, I'm saying it's not the intent. I've only seen wootz's technique achieving a comparable level of finish to what you can do on a tormek with convex shaped knives, at what (financial and learning) cost.

I have a small abrasive belt knife sharpener which cost me roughly the price of a Tormek stone, with a "slack" setting where you contact about an inch of the  curved blade at a time. Just from a pure physics standpoint, one easily understands it is much more suited to the task. And you get a tool to reprofile blades to finish on the tormek - as long as you don't reprofile hundreds of knives a year - or sharpen lawnmower blades.

Ken S

At the risk of sounding ignorant, what are Klauenmessern?

Ken

cbwx34

Quote from: Ken S on November 24, 2021, 06:44:23 PM
At the risk of sounding ignorant, what are Klauenmessern?

Ken

Google translate of the first post gave me this:

QuoteHat jemand Erfahrung mit dem Schleifen von Klauenmessern auf der T8? Mit oder ohne Führung?

Does anyone have any experience sharpening claw knives on the T8? With or without a guide?

Google then showed a "claw knife" as essentially a karambit.

Ken S

Thanks, CB

I knew that messern (plural form of messer) is German for knives. I mixed up the vowels in my search.

My knowledge of knives is essentially standard kitchen knives and plain vanilla pocket knives.

Ken

micha

Just saw this...
Actually it can be a claw shaped knife like a karambit, but also has the meaning of "hoof knife".

In German the hoofs of all artiodactyles are also called 'Klauen' (claws).
Thus a Klauenmesser can also be the type of knife you use for the pedicure of cattle, sheep or goats.
[/teacher mode off] ;)
Mike

cbwx34

Quote from: micha on November 24, 2021, 10:30:36 PM
Just saw this...
Actually it can be a claw shaped knife like a karambit, but also has the meaning of "hoof knife".

In German also the hoofs of all artiodactyles are also called 'Klauen' (claws).
Thus a Klauenmesser can also be the type of knife you use for the pedicure of cattle, sheep or goats.
[/teacher mode off] ;)
Mike

Well, Google is never wrong,  ::)  so sounds like they'll need to start using a Karambit for the job.   ;D  ;D

tgbto

So it's probably not in the right section, at it seems to be the kind of knife you use to trim the sole and frog of horses, but in a nutshell:

Ja, das ist möglich,  wie es in das folgende Video gezeigt wird :

Quote from: cbwx34 on November 24, 2021, 04:35:46 PM
I can't agree with this... while sharpening this type of knife may take more skill, it's certainly doable, and the Tormek is up to the task.  An example is here...

https://youtu.be/7eCDSZ2PHU0?t=2765

Meiner Meinung nach, ist das T8 nicht wirklich geeignet, aber wenn dur ein hast und nichts anders, wird es doch klappen. Ohne Fürhung.