News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Rotating Base Problem

Started by Edge-Master, November 16, 2021, 02:45:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Edge-Master

I recently bought the rotating base. With the standard T7 wheel, it worked well. When I installed the fine diamond wheel, I found that it would not rotate. I think the diamond weighs more. I lubed it and very slightly loosened the nut to free that up. Still won't turn. Any ideas out there. Thank you for letting me join you and for any efforts to diagnose.

cbwx34

Quote from: Edge-Master on November 16, 2021, 02:45:45 PM
I recently bought the rotating base. With the standard T7 wheel, it worked well. When I installed the fine diamond wheel, I found that it would not rotate. I think the diamond weighs more. I lubed it and very slightly loosened the nut to free that up. Still won't turn. Any ideas out there. Thank you for letting me join you and for any efforts to diagnose.

My only thought (more of a guess).. loosening the nut might make it worse, allowing the outer edges to rub more?

Other than that, you'll probably need to email Tormek support... not sure this has come up here in the forum before.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

tgbto

I cannot speak for the T7, but the T8 rotates well with the DF/DE wheel attached. I rotate it using the handle on top. Is that what you do as well ?

micha

I don't have any ideas other than cleaning the whole thing.
Just wanted to add that the diamond wheels are significantly lighter than even a dry SG/SJ wheel, thus weight seems not to be the problem here.

Edge-Master

Thank you. I barely "tweaked the nut. There must be a spacer that maintains consistent top and bottom components to avoid the interference. If I am correct, the load bearing surfaces may be quite small. I am assuming that because I carefully checked for a change in top and bottom relationship. I'll likely fully disassemble the unit and pack some silicone grease around the bolt and hope that fixes the issue. I will use extreme care because I also assume that the head of the bolt nests in a formed plastic pocket. Given the overall construction, I think my assumptions are reasonably logical but I could be all wrong. Sure would not be the first time in my 75 years.

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, Edgemaster.

I am presently away from my shop. I would be very surprised if this was not an easily solvable puzzle. Email Tormek support. Unlike some support groups, Tormek support staff are not canned script readers; they are very experienced and innovative longtime Tormek employees.

Ken

Edge-Master

TGBTO---It refuses to rotate by the handle, "now." I cannot rotate it even when I grab the whole unit and try to turn. It surprised me because it worked as expected and then just got nearly impossible to rotate. I have also closely examined the placement of the unit so it sits properly on the top "plate." The problem appeared instantly and the only change I did in between was swapping wheels.

Edge-Master

I got some WD 40 into the area of the center---used a tube and had access; just a little squirt. It now rotates but is very stiff. I am still going to take it apart and add a teflon washer and the silicone grease.

Thanks to all. Mike ( my lifelong nickname )

QUADroach

Quote from: Edge-Master on November 17, 2021, 12:12:31 AM
   I got some WD 40 into the area of the center---used a tube and had access; just a little squirt. It now rotates but is very stiff. I am still going to take it apart and add a teflon washer and the silicone grease.

Thanks to all. Mike ( my lifelong nickname )
any rust?

BeSharp

A Stumpy Nubs YouTube video says Tormek used two kinds of plastic to reduce friction.

If you do take it apart, be aware of the spring for the grey handle. Ask me how I know... (still haven't found it)